Skip to main content

Turning Pc on from Nic Card

More
18 years 5 months ago #12150 by Lindows
Hey Guys,

A friend of mines want to know is it possible for him to log into his computer even though its off. i said he came across a option in his bios that mention bootable lan. (enable/disable)

Had anyone tried to do this before.

Lindows
More
18 years 5 months ago #12152 by tiamat
nnbnbIt's called Wake On Lan (WoL). Here's a brief rundown of how it can be enabled and used: www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-101

In itself it won't allow him to logon to his PC, it will just enable him to power it up from the network.
More
18 years 5 months ago #12157 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Ok great...
Hey!

Thanks for the info, i'll send him a email with the link. So your saying he can't log into his computer. Even though he has the user name and password. He wants to be able to access him computer from his work computer.

Lindows
More
18 years 5 months ago #12162 by DaLight
If he follows the instructions in the link provided by tiamat, he will be able to get the computer to turn itself on. In order to logon remotely, he will need to use remote access software such as VNC or the "Remote Desktop" software built into Windows XP Professional.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12199 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic WOL
We use Wake On LAN for software updates. We can power on a bunch of machines in a locked office in the middle of the night and run an automated script tp patch them, the last action of which shuts them down again
More
18 years 4 months ago #12447 by DaLight
While perusing my favourite PC mag, PCPRO , I came across this useful link for Wake-On-LAN related utilities.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds