Skip to main content

Firewall.cx's New Linux Section

More
19 years 4 months ago #6222 by KiLLaBeE
I'm brainwashed into the Windoze way of thinking :(, so I would LOVE to see what TheBishop is requesting :D.

Thanks
More
19 years 4 months ago #6225 by sahirh
Yep, Bishop & KillaBee... I've already started working on the 'Linux for Windows Drones' basics tutorial.. I'm trying not to make it a rehash of the same material covered in all the other millions of basic Linux tutorials on the net.. plus I don't want it to be distribution dependent. Either way, its coming along quite well, here is the rough index of what it will cover (off the top of my head)

1. Introduction to GNU/Linux / History
2. The Open Source Philosophy
3. What is a Distribution ? which ones suit which scenarios
4. The Linux File System Layout / Permissions etc
5. Basic Linux commands & their Windows equivalents
6. Command line versus GUI
7. What is a Window Manager / Desktop Environment / X server
8. Installing & Uninstalling software
9. Getting help / man / apropos
10. A true multi-user operating system - concepts
11. Networking
12. Integrating Linux & Windows
13. Basic administration
14. I have run out of ideas at this moment

Okay, thats just a rough idea.. if you have any suggestions on what the basic tutorial should contain, mail me at [myusername]@firewall.cx. Beware, S pammers will face my wrath.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6226 by sahirh
Cybersorcerer, I've lined up the following for you

Upgrading, Customizing, patching and installing a new kernel

This should cover most of the device driver stuff as well.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6228 by gushan
Replied by gushan on topic Linux Tutorials
:D :Hi... can u cover some tutorials notes on "System Linux and network administration "
More
19 years 4 months ago #6230 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Linux
Totally excellent stuff as usual Sahir, I'm looking forward to the tutorial.
I don't know whether it might be a bit off course for the tutorial, but how about issues surrunding the Linux boot? Perhaps:
1) How it boots (and why all *nix systems seem to output the complete works of Shakespeare when they boot and that's before they even mount the volumes)
2) Brief info on the boot loaders (not repeating all the other stuff out there)
3) Techniques for dual-booting the esteemed Penguin with Windows on the same PC (Yeah, I know, why would anybody want to). Some guy showed me a thing where you enter a command that I've now forgotten to dump the first few sectors of the Linux boot partiton into a file that you can then copy to your Windows boot drive and call from the Windows boot loader menu
More
19 years 4 months ago #6234 by nske
Today I tried asterisk and it seems very interesting and with milions of options! It could be a nice subject for a tutorial some time too :)
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds