Hot Downloads

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: single user protection

single user protection 11 years 3 months ago #9624

• henryk
i need some help , iv been trying to protect single user mode but ive failed , am intrested in the user being prompted the root password to enter this mode or at least a prompt for the old passwd when one tries to change the root passwd how do i achieve this with out necessarily password protecting the grub
thanx y'all
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: single user protection 11 years 3 months ago #9625

• nske
  • Expert Member
You can define for the root password to be asked in order to boot to single user mode, by editing /etc/inittab and putting "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" (preferably somewhere at the begining). This will by default run the sulogin program which asks for the root password, however one can change that by passing a different init argument through the bootloader (like init=/bin/sh), so it just makes access a little less obvious.

An other thing you can do, is password protect the grub through it's config. Here's how to do that:

1) execute /sbin/grub-md5-crypt as root and provide the password you want to be used. An encrypted hash for your password will be returned.
2) edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add somewhere near the beggining:[code:1]password --md5 HASH [/code:1]replacing the word HASH with the hash that /sbin/grub-md5-crypt returned to you.

Next time grub will require you to press p and provide your password.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

CCENT/CCNA

Cisco Routers

• SSL WebVPN
  • Securing Routers
  • Policy Based Routing
  • Router on-a-Stick

VPN Security

• Understand DMVPN
  • GRE/IPSec Configuration
  • Site-to-Site IPSec VPN
  • IPSec Modes