Hot Downloads

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GUI on server

Re: GUI on server 11 years 2 months ago #29032

...Andddddddddddddd the point of my post was to ask you guys what you think about my "theory"? :-D

mhmmmmmmmmm 11 years 1 month ago #29069

well killab33...well
BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you

Re: GUI on server 10 years 7 months ago #31599

:wink: no one install GUI in zhe server,even not use with zhe mouse

Re: GUI on server 10 years 7 months ago #31611

same here brother! but i do have X installed on our freebsd..it doesnt have a monitor or mouse, but i just forward X through ssh.

:wink: no one install GUI in zhe server,even not use with zhe mouse

Re: GUI on server 10 years 6 months ago #32263

If you know all the comand line commands and all switches and options of the linux world...well you are a god. So I have to say that GUI makes my life somewhat easier.

I dont think that the GUI is the problem, but what you do with it.

Re: GUI on server 10 years 6 months ago #32268

There are no "rules" when running Linux. You run Linux how you need it ran, not for status. If your looking to build a server that you will SSH into and run some services, than the CLI will suffice. If your looking to add multiple programs, and use every day applications but still need the CLI on the side, the GUI is perfect.

We really need to look at the functionality of the OS, not the 'status' or 'rules'. No such thing as breaking a law or committing a sin for building out a Linux box to fit YOUR needs. After all, you're building the box for yourself or a client.

If a Linux guru gives you grief for installing a GUI and not using full CLI means nothing. Think about it, if you ask him to run a firewall with full CLI or configure a BGP router from scratch ...or even code a specified driver he'll be stumped. Why? Because everybody has strengths and weaknesses. He might only use CLI in Linux, but has to use GUI on firewalls ect ect. You will never find a gEEk who knows it all, if you do send him my way. I would love to meet him.

LESS GRIEF AND STATUS, MORE SHARING KNOWLEDGE!

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy
ZiPPy
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

CCENT/CCNA

Cisco Routers

• SSL WebVPN
  • Securing Routers
  • Policy Based Routing
  • Router on-a-Stick

VPN Security