TOPIC: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing

Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22794

• ardeef
  • ardeef's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Member
  • Frequent Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!
I want to have a centralized computing system such that one PC can have 5 monitors and subsequently,can have 5 users that can work simultaneously.

I know some of the hardware requirements but not all, like, it needs network peripherals such as NIC,switch and cable.

Any idea you can share will be appreciated.Thanks.

Re: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22796

Which of the following solutions are you aiming for:

1. One computer (server) that multiple users (who only have monitors, keyboards, and mice [no computer]) can connect to --- a thin client network solution.

2. One computer (server) that multiple users (who have monitors, keyboards, and mice) can connect to --- a client/server network solution

If the former, then I can't help you (don't have enough knowledge of the topic), but if the latter, I can give you information and ideas.

N

[/u]

Re: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22799

• ardeef
  • Frequent Member
  • Frequent Member
Killabee wrote:
[Which of the following solutions are you aiming for:

1. One computer (server) that multiple users (who only have monitors, keyboards, and mice [no computer]) can connect to --- a thin client network solution.

2. One computer (server) that multiple users (who have monitors, keyboards, and mice) can connect to --- a client/server network solution ]

Im not sure if "Thin Client Network" is the correct term, but yes, that is what I am aiming for...Several terminals( each terminal have only their own monitor,keyboard and mouse, and NO PC ) connected to a single PC/server.[/quote]

Re: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22800

• ardeef
  • Frequent Member
  • Frequent Member
Killabee wrote:
[Which of the following solutions are you aiming for:

2. One computer (server) that multiple users (who have monitors, keyboards, and mice) can connect to --- a client/server network solution ]

Im not sure if "Thin Client Network" is the correct term, but yes, that is what I am aiming for...Several terminals( each terminal have only their own monitor,keyboard and mouse, and NO PC ) connected to a single PC/server.

Re: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22810

I believe that is considered thin client of dumb terminals. You should be able to do this using Citrix Metaframe or Terminal Services I believe.

Re: Obtaining and Configuring Centralized Computing 11 years 1 month ago #22813

• Smurf
Blimey, thats going back around 30 years before PC's where more affordable and the processing was moved off the mainframe to the desktop.......Terminal Services generally still requires a PC, allbeit lower spec'd to boot up and then allow a Terminal Services Client to run.

I must admit, i haven't really played with either of them (true Thin Client or Client/Server).
Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

CCENT/CCNA

Cisco Routers

• SSL WebVPN
  • Securing Routers
  • Policy Based Routing
  • Router on-a-Stick

VPN Security

• Understand DMVPN
  • GRE/IPSec Configuration
  • Site-to-Site IPSec VPN