I'm doing a self study in CCNA. I use Todd Lammle & W. Odom books. None of these 2 books show us how to copy or backup a Cisco 2501/2520 IOS using TFTP. I want to know the steps in doing it from scratch. I already have a 2501/2520 with cables. I was able to connect to the router using HyperTerminal. What software/hardware do I need to accomplish this task? I've search the Internet even with Cisco.com but can't find the steps needed to do this. Please HELP.
Many thanks for the reply. I tried it ... here' the printout (it failed). I have a SolarWinds TFTP Server. When I invoked it, it gave me an auto IP of 127.0.0.1 which is a local host. Don't know where I'm making a mistake.
Router#copy flash tftp
Source filename [c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin]? c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin
Address or name of remote host ? 127.0.0.1
Destination filename [c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin]? c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin
%Error opening tftp://127.0.0.1/c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin (Undefined error)
127.0.0.1 will never work cuz it is a loop back of TCP stack.assign a valid IP address to the comp running TFTP server and check the connectivity of router to TFTP server by pinging the TFTP server from the router console prompt,if the ping works then u can use the copy flash tftp command to copy the ios to the TFTP server
Since Ifty first responded to my posting on 6-7-04, I have been working on this project. Still I can’t copy flash to TFTP server. I’m still working on this. Here’s the scenario:
1. I have a Cisco 2501, 2520 Router & a Cisco 1900 Switch I got from E-Bay.
2. These are not new but working. Working means I can boot it, display sh ver, etc.
3. The reason I want to copy the flash to a TFTP server is - I want to play with these routers, like: setting up passwords, changing ip addresses, etc. & see how it will re-act. While in the process of playing, it will mess up with flash & I want to restore the original flash just in case.
4. My TFTP server was setup properly because it recognizes my PC’s NIC IP of 192.168.01.
5. My HyperTerminal was also setup properly because I can issue commands to the 2501 thru this terminal emulation.
6. My rollover cable connected from the console port to my PC’s serial port is working, otherwise I will not be able to talk to the router thru HyperTerminal.
6. Given these scenario, is there anything else I need to set up in the router side so I can meet my objective of backing up the flash to the TFTP server.