I have got my hands on a Cisco 2950 which is nice considering I'm studying the CCNA syllabus.
I am having great trouble trying to reset the switch. Some of the ports appear not to work etc and I wanted to remove the old configuration I have been on the Cisco website I have held the "mode" button in for 10 Seconds I am trying to run the "dir_flash" command and the switch is outputting "permission denied" Any Ideas?
1. Plug your console cable into the switch and into your computer.
2. Open your console software and make sure it's configured correctly.
3. Turn the switch on.
4. Press the Mode button.
5. Release the Mode button after approximately 5 seconds when the Status (STAT) LED goes out. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks amber.
This will bring you to a "switch:" prompt.
6. Type "flash_init" and press enter.
7. Type "load_helper" and press enter.
8. Type "dir flash:" and press enter.
You should see a file called "config.text".
9. Type "copy flash:config.text flash:config.text.old" and press enter.
10. Type "boot" and press enter.
At this point the switch should boot from the image that's in the switch. If for some reason it doesn't you can type "boot flash:<image_name_as_it_appears>" and that will tell the switch to boot from that image.
Once the switch boots it will ask you if you want to go through a configuration wizard. Type "n" and press enter.
At this point you can copy the old configuration back by typing "rename flash:config.text.old flash:config.text" then type "copy flash:config.text running-config" while in enable mode.
*Be sure to go to configuration mode and change your password or you will be doing the same procedure again after you log out of the switch*
To test the physical switch port hardware type in "show post" while in enable mode and the switch will tell you if there are any hardware issues with the switch ports. I've only experience one issue where a Cisco switch didn't know that it was having hardware issues and it took two months and a personal visit from a Cisco CSE to get them to replace it.