Skip to main content

err-disable on etherchannels

More
10 years 9 months ago #38401 by mic
Hello everyone Happy 4th, when you are configuring Etherchannels with ( channel-group 1 mode on ) command with the interface range command with the interfaces that are in the bundle , all of the interfaces on one of the switches go in to errdisable state, ( when configuring one at a time no problem,) I have tried the shut and then the no shut commands as I read works, it said to reopen the interfaces, but it does not, does anyone know when you get into the errdisable state with configuring more then one Etherchannel, how to get the interfaces up/up again without doing one interface at a time. Thanks Mic
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #38407 by Nevins
Hello mic,

I hope you had a good 4th of July weekend as well. I'm a bit confused about what you want because of the continuity of that run-on sentence but I'm going to try and decipher your intent anyways.

how to get the interfaces up/up again without doing one interface at a time

Use the interface range configuration command to select the group of interfaces. Then apply the shutdown command first followed by the no shutdown command. The reason you use the shutdown command first is err-disabled isn't administratively shutdown it's 'err-disabled'(which is it's own state).

Here is a video I made for another project I'm working on that shows you how to properly configure Etherchannel:

One large issue with the err-disable state is that it is in that state for a reason, so simply turning the link off and back on again might not fix it. Cisco made a great page for identifying the possible causes of the Errdisable state and how to trouble shoot it.

www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/tec...186a00806cd87b.shtml

In all likelihood you are dealing with the a channel-misconfig err-disable message. The way to avoid this is to properly configure Etherchannel.

Good Luck,

-Nevins

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Nevins.
More
10 years 9 months ago #38408 by mic
Thanks, I was not doing the shut and no shut when configuring the channels, only after the port channels went down ,that's when I did it and it did not take it out of the err-disable state like I have read and seen in vids, maybe your way is the safe way ,try not to even put yourself in that err-disable state at all. Thanks again, Mic
More
10 years 9 months ago #38409 by Nevins
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds