Skip to main content

How Internet map in the world

• truesdq
  • Topic Author
  • I am simple and have friendly nature
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #38233 by truesdq
:unsure: How i can make an idea that different networks of the world connected to each other making internet , my question how sonet, DSL , Frame relay , ATM etc networks connected to each others , i means to make a map for internet as when i think about internet...
Note: (i getting that converters across different network to convert different signals but i want some explaining as i would make a map to clear my mind )

simplest
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by truesdq.
More
11 years 1 month ago #38236 by Nevins
[img size=500x500] blyon.com/blyon-cdn/opte/maps/static/106...LGL.2D.4096x4096.png [/img]

How i can make an idea that different networks of the world connected to each other making internet , my question how sonet, DSL , Frame relay , ATM etc networks connected to each others , i means to make a map for internet as when i think about internet...
Note: (i getting that converters across different network to convert different signals but i want some explaining as i would make a map to clear my mind )

Hello Truesdq,

The above linked image is an example internet map. I'm sensing what you really want and please correct me if I'm wrong is to understand how technologies like sonet, DSL, Frame relay and other similar network modalities function together in order move data from one end of the internet to the other.

So the trick is they all operate within the rules of the TCP/IP model. All of these technologies follow the TCP/IP protocol. The reason sonet, DSL and Frame relay can all work within the same internet is TCP/IP compartmentalizes the network access layer from the internet layer and above. Which is to say sonet, DSL and frame relay all use different transmission methods and physical connectors but they all send Ethernet Frames containing IP packets which can be directed between the networks that comprise the internet.

To explain it more simply sonet has different connections and maybe even different methods from transmitting frames from point A to point B but though the use of different interfacing devices and circuitry (network access layer technologies) The data that is received between networks still ends up being a packet within a frame.

So lets start with a basic idea: ROUTERS ROUTE DATA BETWEEN NETWORKS

Routers route data. What does it mean to ROUTE something.

A simple meaning is: Send or direct along a specified course.

So routers Send or direct along a specified course between networks.

Well the logical question is "how does a router pick a specified course?".

The answer is: DATA contains addressing information which can be compared to known routes and sent accordingly.

To combine Sonet, DSL and Frame Relay to make the internet they all have to do the same thing "get the addressing data to the next hop" to preform this task data has to fit a specific format ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame ) called an Ethernet frame. Otherwise the address would be unreadable.

So to summarize these things work together because they follow the same rules; rules that revolve around transporting data using uniform addressing under the TCP/IP protocol.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds