Skip to main content

CHROME OS: Your observations

More
12 years 9 months ago #37143 by sose
Bishop the sadder story is that there is no going back on cloud computing, if you stay out then you can compete.
More
12 years 9 months ago #37151 by TheBishop
Everything has a habit of repeating itself though. I was around when they were throwing mainframes and centralised computing infrastructures into the skip. Well, it's all back - they're just calling it 'virtualized' and the central-thing-from-which-everything-comes "the cloud"
More
12 years 1 week ago #37943 by Arani
Trying my hand at chrome again. This time on a VMware VM. Let's see how this goes.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
12 years 1 week ago #37944 by S0lo

TheBishop wrote: From what I can gather Chrome OS = cloud basically. The concept seems to be that your "PC" becomes just an access device to network-based services rather than supporting local applications. Which is fine if that's what you want, and fine if the cloud marketeers are right about the way our world is going to go. Personally though it gives me this uneasy feeling, like the one you get when your internet connection goes down and you realise the basket with all your eggs in it has totally disappeared...

It has been said before by Oracle's Larry Ellison about 15 years ago, it keeps coming over and over again (before google) but never really made the desktop PC obsolete. I think each way has it's own advantages and disadvantage that some or other people crave.

This reminds me 10 years back when Linux fans kept saying that it's going to wipe Windows from the face of the earth :lol: hehe. These things don't easily happen unless one side has absolutely NO advantage at all.

One example I can recall of something made completely obsolete is the "Type Writer". When computer printers came, the type writer just had almost no chance in the market. Even for filling ready forms like in banks, they preferred using a dot matrix printer.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 1 week ago #37946 by TheBishop
And cassette tapes. Remember those?
More
12 years 1 week ago #37947 by S0lo
Ya, those had their times ha. I remember my father using an even older type of tape called the Fidelipac in his old car. Those seams to be made obsolete by the Cassette!! :woohoo:

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds