Skip to main content

Admin account in Windows with 'limited' access

More
10 years 3 months ago #38453 by skylimit
Hi guys,

We currently support remote users and have had the challenge of accessing their machines (via secure remote login)to do work because they're always busy. i was just wondering if it's possible to create a separate account on the end users laptop with admin rights but with no access to the users stuff on the laptop if this makes sense. The idea is to enable us access the machine using a separate (support) account when say the user is out for lunch, in order to install software, resolve any issues they may have etc. We prefer not to have to access to their stuff since they're away.

Anyone have experience with this please, also other recommendations appreciated.

thanks

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
10 years 3 months ago #38458 by Bublitz
Once your admin you can always take ownership over any files. So even if you lock your self out permissions you can get right back in. If this is possible it would have to be via 3rd party.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
10 years 2 months ago #38464 by Bublitz
Hate to sound like a skitzo. In my environment none of my users have admin rights. I do give admin privileges to certain activities via Desktop Authority. I have been using this program for years it works great and new "activities" can be pushed out via GPO.

So you could make the users non admins but allow them to do some admin tasks. Since they aren't a true admin they cannot take ownership of files.

So I guess i'm going to correct myself, and say this is a possible solution to your problem.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds