Skip to main content

Error creating a userr

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #38415 by skylimit
Hi all, I wonder if anyone has a clue to this error. Basically when i try adding a user to a windows small business server 2003 i get this error and can't seem to get round it. Microsoft says it's something to do with permissions on the 'users' shared folder but that looks fine. Any /pointers would be appreciated.

Please see attachment

thanks

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by skylimit.
More
10 years 7 months ago #38417 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Error creating a userr
Hello Skylimit,

This seems pretty straightforward. support.microsoft.com/kb/294667 has all the info you need on this one but basically it's saying if you hit yes, it will create the user account without the home folder and if no it will not create the account. Basically to make sure you don't have this problem in the future just make sure the user share folder you're trying to make the account under exists, is shared and is the correct location.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
10 years 7 months ago #38419 by skylimit
Replied by skylimit on topic Re: Error creating a userr
Hi Nevins,

Thanks for your response.

Sorry I didn't mention I stumbled on that link before and after my post. The problem (which I should have stated) is that I can't find any such thing as 'Users Shared Folder', however I can see a share named 'users' but I'm unsure if that's the share referred to in kb294667. Sorry I'm pretty naive with Windows and I inherited the SBS server 2003 but got to resolve the problem somehow.

So my questions are:

1. How can I be sure the 'users' share is the correct share? When I checked a clients machine I didn't see anything mounted as 'users'.Is there a way to verify it's the 'Users Shared Folder' please

2. Assuming it is, does that mean it's case-sensitive i.e. share name MUST be 'Users' and not 'users'?

3. Would a change from 'users' to 'Users' cause any problems like corruption, etc, basically the best practise

thanks for any contributions guys

ps. can't even see any such thing as 'Users Shared Folder'

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #38421 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Error creating a userr
You should be able to copy/paste the file path and avoid case-sensitivity issues. But as far as the users shared folder goes just watch this video it shows you how to create a shared folder there really isn't that much to it:

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Nevins.
More
10 years 7 months ago #38422 by skylimit
Replied by skylimit on topic Re: Error creating a userr
Thanks Nevins, I think I'm making progress albeit slow.

One of my challenges was locating the 'Users Shared Folder' folder. I found it to be located in the C drive (default location?) so C:\ User Shared Folder but there's no subfolder.

Under Shares (Local) I can see a share shared as 'users' so I stopped sharing and changed to 'Users' keeping all permissions the same as per kb294667 but this didn't make any difference as the add user wizard still fails. The existing 'users' share is in a different partition E:\users so I'm not sure if this could be the problem.

Also, I noticed that upon logon to the domain, the existing users do not have their shares mounted which could be a pointer to the problem with the add user failing. Any more suggestions/pointers please?

thanks again
ps. I can see there's enough disk space left etc

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds