Skip to main content

Leopard OS

More
16 years 3 months ago #24702 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Leopard OS
Skepticals, that is not true or a fact. Nowadays there are a lot of Mac users which are continuously expanding.
The fact is that even in competitions it is much more difficult to hack into a mac box than a windows box.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24704 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Leopard OS
I wasn't saying it was a truth or a fact, I simply asked a question. You don't think the lack of pupular use has anything to do with it?
More
16 years 3 months ago #24707 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Leopard OS
Popularity does not factor in this equation. You might ask why not? Well, you use something because it works for YOU, it does what YOU want it to do. Sure, you'll use something that is popular or widely used for the support and the community that backs it. If you think about it, when Windows came out or even the PC at that matter nobody wanted to touch them. HP lost billions and billions of dollars when they released the first personal computer that Wozniak built on HP time. But Mac isn't even facing that scenario, because the fact of the matter is they are popular and are increasing in popularity.

More hackers are very much so focusing on writing virus's and trojans to infect Mac. This is happening because Mac is getting popular and more users are using them and the fact of challenge. When somebody says my computer or network can't be hacked, what do you think a hacker will do? Attempt to hack it! For the thrill! for the challenge! for the knowledge!

We all know that Mac is more secure and frankly I would like more facts as to why it's more secure. Does anybody have any input on that???
In my opinion, one of the main reasons why a Windows box is less secure than a Mac box is because of services such as explorer.exe running. I have heard people make the suggestion that NetBIOS has a lot to do with security issues, more so in the past than now. I'm sure the list is long and distinguished, but I'm sure there are a few crucial facts.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 3 months ago #24713 by ZiPPy
I forgot to add a very important point about running a Mac ...anybody who uses Linux or is a fan of Linux should find Mac quite inviting. Being that Mac runs on NetBSD and open access to the Terminal, this should make Linux users feel right at home. Today, many flavors of Linux are trying to mimic the OS X look. Linux has now developed some very flashy GUI enhancement add-ons. So, all in all we are still on the same page here with a Unix backbone and a classy GUI.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 3 months ago #24716 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Leopard OS
Gosh, "security" had to jump in this one.......it seems as if every Mac chat that occurs, someone throws in "security," and the whole topic changes to a great debate.......can we keep this thread in topic? There should be a Mac vs Windows security somewhere else in this forum...

I'd personally like to see a detailed, technical paper (with more than sufficient documentation) from several security experts that explain which is more secure, why it is more secure, how the security in it was tested, etc..........I think I'd find that more interesting that reading about why Win is less secure and Mac is this and that and popularity blah blah...

Now back to the topic :-D
More
16 years 3 months ago #24718 by ZiPPy
Wait! What was the topic? O yea, running the Leopard OS :lol:

I have to admit, KiLLaBeE is right about the security debate. But I agree on moving the topic to another thread and have a security layout. I think a technical paper would be fantastic on this topic!

Now back to the topic indeed!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds