Skip to main content

the concept of bandwidth

More
12 years 2 months ago #37696 by sose
Please someone should me authenticate this statement below:

Bandwdith is an addition of upload and download traffic over a given period of time.

Example 1.
If you site's homepage is 500MB (God forbid). When a user visits your site's homepage he pulls off 500MB of your bandwidth. If 10 users visit just the homepage of your site they pull 5000MB (5gb) of your bandwidth.
So if you are given 20GB a month and 40 users visit your site. . . thts 40 x 500MB = 20000MB (20GB).
You have maxed your bandwidth and can buy more bandwidth for your host if they have that option or wait for the next 30day cycle for your bandwidth to be reset.

Example 2:
You have a site with 20GB (20000MB) monthly bandwidth,
You have a music file that is 10MB.
When you upload that music file you have spent 10MB of your bandwidth. You now have 19990MB left.
When users start downloading your music file they collect from your bandwidth.
So if 50 users download your music that 50 users multiplied by 10MB which is 500MB.
So now you are left with 19490MB. It goes on like that.
Your monthly bandwidth meter is reset every 30 days.

Summary: site's upload traffic + site's download traffic = total bandwidth used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: next_virus
More
12 years 2 months ago #37697 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: the concept of bandwidth
I mean anyone with the knowledge of web hosting should help authenticate the statement above
More
12 years 2 months ago #37708 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: the concept of bandwidth
Yup, thats how I know it.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 2 months ago #37715 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: the concept of bandwidth
Solo, I thought the hosting company sells only space. This will be like a milk in a cup and everyone could brings different sizes of straw to seep, which is the bandwidth in this case.
More
12 years 2 months ago #37717 by TheBishop
I think you've pretty much got it there.
The hosting company will give you a monthly bandwidth but this is better considered as a monthly download limit. If a visitor just views your homepage then goes elsewhere the amount of data they will download from the hosting server to their browser is minimal. But if they continue to use your site and download videos, music or software then obviously they are going to use much more of your allowance. So the monthly bandwith only relates in part to the number of visitors you have, it also depends on the type of content you host and what your visitors do. Note also it's usually just a download limit, upload is usually much less and usually doesn't get quoted or restricted
More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #37718 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: the concept of bandwidth

sose wrote: Solo, I thought the hosting company sells only space. This will be like a milk in a cup and everyone could brings different sizes of straw to seep, which is the bandwidth in this case.

I'm afraid it is. Just as you and TheBishop described. They have to do this because they also have to pay for that bandwidth to the ISP that they're buying their connection from. And that connection won't be like a single home ADSL, It's probably a leased line implemented using MPLS, framerelay or even a satellite dish. As far as I know, those are usually paid as a fixed monthly or yearly fee. If the web host does not apply monthly bandwidths fees, it has to resolve this cost somewhere, eventually the price of hosting will become higher on everyone, although some websites might be taking far less bandwidth than other websites. This is obviously not fair, and would deter small companies from hosting.

The market for hosting is extremely competitive, so they have to lower their prices, you are almost assured to find a suitable plan if you search enough. I once used a $12 per year host with unlimited bandwidth!!. Of-course it is a low level host, with few features and slow support team, but for a personal website, it does just fine B)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by S0lo.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds