Skip to main content

SNMPc Network Monitoring Software

More
12 years 10 months ago #36990 by Arani
Hi all

I'm using SNMPc from Castle Rock, for network monitoring of various networks.

I opened this forum so that users around firewall.cx using SNMPc can share their experiences and working methods. Any issues faced, any new ideas, ways of doing things etc, can be discussed here.

Looking forward to all of your inputs.

Cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
12 years 10 months ago #36991 by KiLLaBeE
My biggest challenge has been getting an SNMP server (NMS) to recognize the MIBS for non-default servers/network-gear. I primarily use PRTG. I wanted PRTG to monitor the components in our HP servers, but after 2 months of trying, I gave up. PRTG would either fail in trying to convert HP's MIBs to its own format or when I did convert them and import them, PRTG wouldn't recognize them. Unfortunately this is a big drawback because we now need one server for monitoring HP servers (HP SIM) and one for monitoring network devices (PRTG). I know this functionality should work, because how else would large NMS systems such as NetMRI and SolarWinds Orion become so popular if they couldn't accept MIBs from different hardware platforms?

The bright side of my struggle was that I got to learn a lot about SNMP at a detailed level.
More
12 years 10 months ago #36996 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Hi

Are you talking about the protocol or the software when you say 'SNMP' ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #37001 by KiLLaBeE
Protocol
More
12 years 10 months ago #37002 by Arani
Hi mate

Sorry I was talking about the software from Castle Rock.

More
12 years 10 months ago #37030 by Arani
No more takers for this discussion? Pity, I thought it would make a jolly good one.

I've been working with it for about 8 months now, and everyday I learn something new about it.

Looking forward to people who are into remote management and network monitoring.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds