Skip to main content

Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

More
13 years 11 months ago #34539 by Nevins
As I'm sure many of you know there is a giant oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico right now and it's a big deal. Anyways I'm trying to gather all media and ideas for this said topic including ideas on how to effectively solve cleanup. Plainly put there are a lot of high IQ's floating around here and we might have a few good ideas on how to preform damage control.

(explained)

www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/global...html/rov_stream.html
(live stream of leak)

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/site/2931/
(official Response site)

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/doc/2931/546759/
(US COASTGUARD SUGGESTION BOX)

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/clients/2931/319487.pdf
(form for sending in IDEAS)

grassrootsmapping.org/
Mapping project to show visibly how the spill is growing

Media Link(s):
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37171468/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/ar...10.html?hpid=topnews
www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/us/16oil.html?ref=science
news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100518/ts_ynews/ynews_ts2110
earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagere..._tmo_2010137_lrg.jpg
www.wunderground.com/blog/USSINS/comment.html?entrynum=0
www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/oil_re...ouisiana_shores.html
gizmodo.com/5547548/the-gulf-disaster-vi...esnt-want-you-to-see

(EXPANSION UPDATE)
WILL BE ADDED IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WILL BE UPDATED OVER TIME *note I'll get around to filling this out I want to do some more reading*

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 11 months ago #34557 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill
Sorry I have not been keeping up on this I've recently had some type of infection in my throat that is causing epiglottis most likely some type of bacterial infection but I've not been feeling well.

Useful Threads
More
13 years 10 months ago #34579 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic get well soon ...
Hey man get well soon.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
13 years 10 months ago #34710 by Nevins
Thank you I appreciate the gesture.

I finally got the lab results from an culture and it turns out the reason I was sick for so long is because I had two things:

Scant growth of beta hemolytic streptococcus, Not group A, C or G
Moderate Growth of yeast.

Basically what this means is I have oral thrush (oral candida) or an over growth of yeast that is harboring strep group B.

To be honest I'm pretty worried at this point because I've been doing exactly what I shouldn't have been doing to treat it for a while.

Strep B does require antibiotics however it also hides within yeast colonies well. The main problem being that antibiotics kills non-yeast bacteria or fungi allowing yeast to over grow. The thing I've been doing wrong so far is all diet. As it turns out the ICE POP's and HALLS drops that I've been using to keep the swelling down has only been feeding the problem because sugar is what fuels candida.

Long story short I have a 20% chance of dieing (see url) and I need to start a really suck ass diet that doesn't include sugar/carbs which unfortunately is in all the good foods... like all of them.

www.dhpe.org/infect/strepb.html

On the other hand if I do die I get to have a very statistically unlikely death.

There are 300+ Million people in the united states of that only 18,000 get strep group b. Within that group 8000 are newborns leaving only 10,000 infants and adults. 75% of that 10,000 are female leaving only 2,500 male infants and adults. I'm not sure where the division between male infants and male adults lie but I'm guessing far more infants get strep b than adults so less than 1,250 adult males per year get strep b.

chance of death per year for an adult male in the united states
.0000004166%*.8=
.0000003%

My current chance is at 20%.

It's like lotto odds. Honestly I'm not being grim about it, I think my actual chances for survival are many many times higher because whenever I get sick I do tons of research and focus all of my efforts on getting well quick. Also I generally don't get sick... ever so I'm not at any pre-disposition like a lot of people that get it and the test results did say "SCANT" which as far as I know means minor. On the other hand I am worried that being sick this long has done damage to my body.

Even just being in a group of 18,000 in 300,000,000 is way less than 1%.

I'm really amazed by those numbers. The thing that I don't understand is at this point I find myself not caring so much about the prospect of death but caring more so about satisfying my curiosity about microbiology related to the current issue.

Useful Threads
More
13 years 10 months ago #34730 by TheBishop
Yeah, sorry to hear you're unwell - we all hope you get better soon.
I'm sure you won't die, though; the human body is a remarkably resilient thing - unlike a PC running Windows...
More
13 years 10 months ago #34732 by Nevins
It's cool. I'm not worried about dieing even in the case that did happen. Honestly I can live with the idea of dieing the only outcome that would really bother me is brain damage. I really don't think I'd be able to take life as a complete dumb-ass. But then again it's been my experience that dumb people are always really really happy so who knows. Although I'm not sure if that applies to people who weren't always dumb. Anyways right now the only thing thats bothering me is this no carb, no sugar diet. I'm literally starving. My energy levels are at an all time low because:

A.) I have no sugar or starch intake
B.) I'm sick
C.) The medicine I'm taking blocks cells from taking up ergocalciferol better known as vitamin D.
D.) Very poor sleep.

On the other hand this could actually be a boon for me, assuming I get well I could go back to school and study to be a doctor. I've decided I have a skill for figuring out whats wrong medically by doing research. I've always been really good at looking stuff up and as it turns out thats a lot of what a medical professional does. Quite a few times when dealing with my doctor I looked up possible causes to what was making me sick and presented them as a solution over my own doctors analysis and turned out to be right. Sure that could just signal that I have a shitty doctor but the my main point is I was able to find out what was wrong with me even when my doctor was leading me to a simple case of acid reflux.

Anyways thank you for wishing me well. I kind of feel bad that I've hijacked the Oil Spill thread.

Useful Threads
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds