Skip to main content

Power Utilization software

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33894 by next_virus
Hi,

I have a UPS of 90KVA installed in my office. We are running lots of PC’s , routers, switches, servers etc. I need to track that how much power is being consumed by the devices currently used.

Anyone have any idea or any software related to this???

Regards
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33911 by next_virus
No one have any idea??
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33913 by Nevins
The problem is no matter what software you have your going to need to buy some hardware because simply put there is nothing to send a message to your computer that power is being used. So your going to be looking at a power monitoring system vs. just some downloadable software. At this point you really have to ask yourself how much money you want to spend because solutions can range from $10-$10,000 and up.

The kill-a-watt can be picked up for about $10 at ace hardware

Item number: 350326734043 on ebay for $4 with shipping.

It's also very possible that your power supply has this built in. Look for a rj45 plug in and see if you can configure an IP address on it. Many times UPS allow you to log into them and they keep logging data. This is not the case with a $50 UPS but generally the ones upwards of $500 or more have it.

I also suggest some form of remote power management:

APC Remote Power-Off Remote management adapter

So that if you need to power cycle something you can do it with a PDA. (very useful but depending on your setup you may want a bigger management unit).

For a higher port density try the Ibootbar:

dataprobe.com/ibootbar-remote-reboot.html

So how big do you want to go?

Edit: I just noticed that you said 90KVA not 90VA That's a BIG UPS. Imagine your wanting to look at a more industrial sized unit power solution. But before you do that check the machine for a data port I have a hard time imagining that a unit that big doesn't have a data port on it you can monitor from.

Each one of these are 50KVA....

Your talking about a pretty large UPS. Check the documentation you got with it see if it has those data ports anywhere.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33914 by Nevins
While were on the subject of power distribution does anyone know what this type of PDU is called? I've been looking for a 19' rack mount like that on the cheap but vertically mounted. Cable setups in the past have been too bulky.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33935 by TheBishop
Almost all big UPSs have a monitoring/management option available for them. Check the manufacturer's website to find out. Many manufacturers will let you download at least the basic one for free but for all bells and whistles they might want you to purchase
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33936 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic I agree with the Bishop....
Hello Next Virus most big UPS come with their Management softwares. Most of them even come with DB9 Cable and the RJ Families..... The one i purchased yesterday even has a remote shutdown tool. Its a mercury product.

hope u find what u are actually looking for.

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds