Skip to main content

How often do you use RSS?

More
14 years 1 month ago #33820 by S0lo
In my humble opinion, the so called web 2.0 comes with an unofficial package of useful, usable and useless services.

RSS is supposed to be one of those. Now, call me illiterate and old fashioned. But I really, honestly never found a place for RSS in my bag. It's almost useless for me. Yes, I tried some RSS readers before, No, no interest. I'd very much rather google for the info that I specifically want, or if I really wanted news, I would browse to one of my favorite news sites or watch TV. Yet, I see RSS signs and services available everywhere!! Am I alone in this?

It would be interesting to know what you guys think? Mainly how often you use RSS, if you do.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 1 month ago #33823 by KiLLaBeE
I love the RSS technology. With the rise in blogs and news sites, I would find it very time consuming for me to go to 15 differnet sites to get my daily dose of information/reading enjoyment. I use Google Reader, which aggregates all the RSS subscriptions into one screen. Among the many of nice features that it offers, it also suggests other subscriptions that I may be interested in, so this has allowed my subscriptions to grow considerably. The downside is that I sometimes feel overloaded with articles to review before finding a good one, so I don't use it every day, but when I do use it I can go back and see what was posted in previous days.

Approximately how many differnet sites do you visit in a regular basis? If it weren't for Google Reader, I would be visiting ~15 different sites!
More
14 years 1 month ago #33824 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: How often do you use RSS?
and why i would be shy :)

To be honest, i think twitter is much better than RSS even they can be used to serve different areas.
I simply follow people/blogs/news and all updates comes to my home page on twitter..

Cheers

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 1 month ago #33827 by The_Berzerker
RSS has definitely saved me hours of browsing to sites. I subscribe to more than 100 feeds and there is no way I could catch up with all these websites in another way.
I want to try Fever which should save me even more time...
More
14 years 1 month ago #33830 by TheBishop
RSS is a major timesaver. I use Bloglines as an RSS aggregator; just subscribe to all the websites/blogs/other things with RSS feeds that you're interested in and then all I need to do is visit just one website and there they all are. I can browse the post titles and click through to the ones I'm interested in, just like having a secretary to pre-sort my mail for me. It updates automatically each time there is new content on any of my target sites, and it comes with a notifier app that sits in my toolbar and alerts me if there's anything new to read, so I don't even have to sit on the web and can get on with other stuff
More
14 years 1 month ago #33832 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic RSS Saves Me time.....
I Always Use RSS because it saves me time and reduces the number of articles i have to read from cisco. for example on my MyYahoo! page i created different tabs for RSS feeds from Cisco Networking Proffesionals which have more than 50 RSS links... So i just get the news feeds right on my page and if i want to read more i could just follow the link...

RSS is cool.

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds