Skip to main content

Rest in Peace to the command line

More
14 years 4 months ago #32966 by hades
For configuration i can go for SDM as its an easy process with it.
But when it comes to troubleshooting, personally i would prefer CLI

I think therefore I am!
More
14 years 4 months ago #32970 by KiLLaBeE
Efficiency, speed, and ease of use seem to win in the end, and that's what GUIs typically provide. I think the trend is to make "easy" and common functions available on GUIs to make common deployments and configurations quick and easy, whereas the more "difficult," advanced, and less common functions available only on CLIs.

This tend is observed in Windows, IOS (based on your comments), and Linux.

I haven't used SDM but, but I've used the ASA's ASDM. There's an option there where you can tell it to show you commands before saving them to running-config. One thing I like about this is that I can easily learn how to do something using the CLI -- I first configure whatever on ASDM and tell it to save. ASDM will show me the command that's going to be saved so I know what it is for future configuration on CLI :-D.
More
14 years 4 months ago #32987 by S0lo
Agree with many of the above.

Despite the awesomeness of SDM/ASDM and the like. They are unfortunately reliant on http and IP connectivity. So once you loose that or some thing goes wrong that prevents http/IP from working, SDM will simply stop working. The nasty thing is if it happens while your working on it, some thing like a misconfigured ACL or IP address might cause it.

CLI comes to rescue in these cases, but what if the admin is just so used to SDM that he forgot how to fix it in CLI..... aaaouch...

Admitting this, I have to say that (although I use CLI more often) I just loooove working on ASDM. It forces a smile, if you know what I mean. It keeps you hooked staring and browsing here and there on the tabs and buttons even when your done with it. It invites you to work and learn with a fresh dish, if not force you.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 4 months ago #32989 by KiLLaBeE

Admitting this, I have to say that (although I use CLI more often) I just loooove working on ASDM. It forces a smile, if you know what I mean. It keeps you hooked staring and browsing here and there on the tabs and buttons even when your done with it. It invites you to work and learn with a fresh dish, if not force you.

LOL

I couldn't agree more. When I first saw ASDM, I was overwhelmed at how many features (or subset of) the ASA had. All the controls were there in front of me with "easy" and quick access to modify them. It really gives you a quick snapshot at the features of the ASA.

It certainly invited me to learn more...I bought a book and a few videos :-D
More
14 years 4 months ago #32991 by r0nni3
99% of the time i use CLI...the only time i use ASDM is to view the logging. It takes me about 10 minutes to configure an ASA using the CLI and about 30-45 with the GUI (with VPN's botnet filtering and dynamic/static NAT).

And with the CLI i get the feeling that even i know what im doing :lol:

Currently working as Cisco Engineer at Neon-Networking.

Certifications:
CCNA - Have it
CCNA Security - Have it
CCSP - Almost!!!!
CCIE Security - Not so far away dream
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 4 months ago #32993 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: Rest in Peace to the command line
yeah, I agree with you.. I feel more comfortable in CLI. :D
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds