Skip to main content

Rest in Peace to the command line

More
14 years 4 months ago #32996 by sose
Last sunday we walk down to a river bank, me and a couple of other guys, recited some verses from an old networking scripture, threw some leave in the flowing water, and that is the end of the story. the memory of the the command line shall never be forgotten. Rest in perfect peace the black box
More
14 years 4 months ago #32999 by next_virus
May be, in future, the new generation will surprise to listen that earlier we use CLI for configuration. They will think how ginius we were.
I feel difficult to configure with SDM / ASDM. But still use it to view the configurations.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33147 by FlipRich
Hold up now.. Still gotta configure the device to use SDM/ASDM before you can use the GUI. :shock:

So CLI isnt totally going to rest.

But yeah, I do like SDM/ASDM when setting up VPN and ACL's and NAT/PAT... Using the CLI for those tasks is a mind job. lol

Rich
Network Engineer /CCNP, CCNA-S
Tallahassee, FL
More
14 years 4 months ago #33168 by TheBishop
Try password recovering a Cisco router with a GUI. Or try finding a GUI version of the Microsoft recovery console. Or maybe next time you want to see if a node is up you could right click network neighbourhood, choose properties, then entire network, then Microsoft windows network, then browse the list to find the node you want, then try mapping a drive to it...
Myself, I'd rather do start > run > CMD and simply type 'ping'
You guys down by the river had better jump in and fish your leaves out because the command line is still the easiest and most efficient way to accomplish quite a number of things
More
14 years 4 months ago #33182 by r0nni3

Try password recovering a Cisco router with a GUI. Or try finding a GUI version of the Microsoft recovery console. Or maybe next time you want to see if a node is up you could right click network neighbourhood, choose properties, then entire network, then Microsoft windows network, then browse the list to find the node you want, then try mapping a drive to it...
Myself, I'd rather do start > run > CMD and simply type 'ping'
You guys down by the river had better jump in and fish your leaves out because the command line is still the easiest and most efficient way to accomplish quite a number of things

I couldnt have said that any better myself :wink:

Currently working as Cisco Engineer at Neon-Networking.

Certifications:
CCNA - Have it
CCNA Security - Have it
CCSP - Almost!!!!
CCIE Security - Not so far away dream
More
14 years 4 months ago #33184 by sose
Bishop is just out here to spoil our funeral ceremony.

I know there are still some stuffs that needed the command line. but the command line is gone. who ever thought we could install Linux like windows? fully GUI
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds