Skip to main content

V8 or V4

More
15 years 1 week ago #29667 by S0lo
V8 or V4 was created by S0lo
This guy keeps telling me that the newer v8 BMW engines have this economy feature that when at low speeds works on 4 cylinders and when it runs at more than 80Km/h it works full capacity on 8 cylinders!!!

He knows a bit about cars, but I just can't get this into my head. How in the world would an engine do that without the driver feeling any thing at all, not to mention other technical difficulties. Did any one hear any thing about that? I couldn't find any references about it and he couldn't give me any either.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30359 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: V8 or V4
Perhaps possible, i had felt the speed difference and performance while driving the different old and new model cars with 4 cylinder capacity. if the difference itself in 4 cylinders Why not with v8 :)

When you drive some new cars you feel the difference comparing to old model 2003 cars Both run on 80 km/hr But there is increased speed in new cars.

Apparently it is not only with volume of cylinders but with other advanced technical methods applied on camshaft and fuel injection etc..

Well Shall we know the brand name of your car :wink: How Would be a Car manfuctured by the brand name FIREWALL :)

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
14 years 10 months ago #30360 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: V8 or V4
Thanks for the feedback rizin :), I agree with you on all. But I think I did not explain it really well. This guy is telling me that the SAME V8 car runs at lower speed on only 4 cylinders. In other words, 4 cylinders will be moving and the other 4 are STATIC!!, not moving at all!!, until the car reaches a certain speed, then those static cylinders suddenly start to move, and the car moves on 8 cylinders!!

So under 80Km/h, it's a V4, over 80Km/h the SAME car is a V8!!!

I find this really wild, I can't begin to believe it.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30363 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: V8 or V4
I find that improbable. All the cylinders are connected to the same crankshaft so they will all be moving. However I suppose it's possible that only four of the eight will be generating power - i.e. undergoing compression and recieving fuel - and the others will be brought on-line when extra output is needed. You could do that with the fuel injection computer. You might get a bit of extra economy that way I suppose, but it sounds like a lot of effort for the return. Unless the engine drives two separate crankshafts that have their output combined in some way then I don't see how it can be done
More
14 years 10 months ago #30367 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: V8 or V4

You could do that with the fuel injection computer. You might get a bit of extra economy that way I suppose, but it sounds like a lot of effort for the return. Unless the engine drives two separate crankshafts that have their output combined in some way then I don't see how it can be done

Ya, give me more of that TheBishop :). That sounds much more understandable. The "fuel injection computer", hmmm put more fuel here than here. Ya I could buy that 8).

The thing about the "two separate crankshafts" is that (I think) that the driver has to feel a jump or a change in engine tone or something when the transition from 4 to 8 happens. I drive the BMW V8, but I never noticed that. I might be wrong.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 9 months ago #34891 by E_Money
Replied by E_Money on topic Re: V8 or V4
Your friend is correct. There are also a few trucks in America that have the same function. Dont know why they didnt think of that years ago.

Do they actually make 'v4's in kuwait or do you mean a i4 ( inline )??
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds