Skip to main content

Servers

More
20 years 5 months ago #1419 by ZiPPy
Servers was created by ZiPPy
I am looking for a server to add to my network. I am talking about a buff server but not a buff price :D Figures the two don't really go together. But if anybody knows any sites to shop for used or refurbished servers, or heck brand new at a good price let me know.

I have been looking at this server. :shock: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...&category=11215&rd=1

Tell me what you guys think. Its a bulky guy! Only thing that is setting me back is that the processors are Pentium 2, but there are 4. I will upgrade the hard drives down the line.

Server will basically serve as a web host, FTP, File Storage and a practice tool to work with servers.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
20 years 5 months ago #1420 by Dudbolt
Replied by Dudbolt on topic Re: Servers
Thats a beast of a box. Good price at the moment though!!! I have a server here that runs VMWare GSX server so that i can have about 10 different OS's and servers set up. I have 1.5 GB of RAM that allows me to run about 4 OS's at the same time. Gives plenty of scope to have some fun.....also saves on electricity!!!!!

Db
More
20 years 5 months ago #1422 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Servers
Dudbolt,

Your server has 1,5 gigs of ram ?! Wow, and I thought 512 on mine was a lot!.

I've actually got my eyes on the Sun Cobalt servers ... they are extremely sexy and come in 1U rack configurations.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 5 months ago #1423 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Servers
So what do you guys think? Should I buy it? Its at $304.00 and I was planning on not passing $475 - $525. Still debating. Do you guys think its worth getting or maybe you guys know of another similiar server that I can compare.

Thanks for your help guys

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
20 years 5 months ago #1424 by Dudbolt
Replied by Dudbolt on topic Re: Servers
Personally i think it might be great if set up as a VMware box. You could run maybe 8 servers at once on the box !!!!

Now that would be fun!!!!

Db
More
20 years 5 months ago #1425 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Servers
Hey Dudbolt, what exactly is VMware and do tell about it. Very interested. Run multiple OS's at the same time hmmmm :lol: I like that 8) Give me some details if you could please.

P.S. So your saying buy it eh?

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds