Skip to main content

Network Printing problem

More
19 years 1 week ago #8125 by gainil
Hi !!! everone.

I have a strange problem, some Printers in my network start printing garbage pages automatically, wasting 100s of pages. I think this might me a Virus. Guys can any one help me ???? :cry:
More
19 years 1 week ago #8128 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Network Printing problem
hi,

It could indeed be a virus. If that's the case, one option would be to virus scan all of your machines -it would be useful to do that anyway as well as verify there is an up to date antivirus running in each workstation. I don't think windows machines can survive otherwise :lol:

An other option would be to use a sniffer and catch the IP address that sends the prints. Try running ethereal in your pc that serves as print server -or if you have a network-printer (those with intergrated print servers) try sniffing the traffic destined to the printer's IP address from an other network host. Also, if it is a network-printer, make sure it's administration has not been compromised and is not accessible i.e. from the internet
More
19 years 1 week ago #8133 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: Network Printing problem
Gainil –

It may be a virii as stated but it maybe an issue with the printer its self.

• Check if your printer(s) are indeed capable of being used as a network printer, check the manufactures webpage or call them and ask.
• Check for qualifying OS, if the printer was not designed for the OS it may not work.
• Make sure you have the latest driver, and the driver for the OS.
• Reinstall the network port

Just a few things to try.

Good Luck,

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds