Skip to main content

Which port on which switch am I plugged into?

More
19 years 1 month ago #7558 by skynet3
I'm trying to find out which switch I'm plugged into and also which port I'm on.

Thanks for any answers
More
19 years 1 month ago #7560 by LooseCannon
A little more info would be helpful. Are you connected into a Cisco switch? If you can't locate the switch and port physically I'd suggest telnetting into each individual switch and searching for your MAC address in each switch until you find it. That is assuming you have access to the switch's Management IP address. In CatOS do a "show cam <MAC address>" and if your computer is connected to that switch it will show up, or if you are running multiple VLANs over trunking ports it should show up on one of the trunk ports I think and from there you can follow it to the proper switch.

Someone should verify this as I could be wrong. :P
More
19 years 1 month ago #7570 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Which Switch
As LooseCannon says, your key here is to be able to look at the switch MAC address table. But how you do it depends on the manufacturer. If you give us a bit more info I'm sure somebody will be able to help
More
19 years 1 month ago #7608 by beexo
I just had a crazy idea. What is you could get you hands on some software that would autodiscover and plot the whole network for you. Wouldn't that be great?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7620 by sahirh

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 1 month ago #7662 by Jolly
NetDisco would do it for you. You can get it from Sourceforge.net. But it works on Linux only.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds