Skip to main content

Scan network device

More
19 years 10 months ago #3875 by thorpe
Scan network device was created by thorpe
I have recently set up a DSL for my home, I have purchased a router/dsl modem with built in Firewall

The router uses NAT my PC has an internal network address an the router has the external address.

How can I scan the network activity that comes in to the router. If I use ethereal I just pick up the internal Lan network activity.

thanks
More
19 years 10 months ago #3880 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Scan Network
Hi Thorpe
You can't directly scan the external side of your firewall/router from your PC if your PC is connected to the internal side. With a tool like Ethereal you can only see/capture the packets at the point at which you are connected.
However If I understand correctly what you're asking, then there might be another way to achieve what you want. If your firewall/router has any kind of logging that you can turn on, you could get it to log the traffic that it drops (prevents from getting through to your protected PC). Let us know the type of router and we'll see if anyone can advise
More
19 years 10 months ago #3882 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic thanks
Thanks for that bishop it confirmed my thoughts

I have one of those cheap router/dsl modems It has a secuirty log but nothing of any real interst I will speak to the manaufactures and see if there is any firmware for it.

Thanks again
More
19 years 10 months ago #3886 by Neon
Replied by Neon on topic Re: Scan network device
Does your router have a DMZ feature?

With that enabled with the IP address of your machine it will be like you are directly connected to the Internet however you get all the security risks that come with it too but you should be able to see some Internet traffic this way, It's just a bit unsafe compared to Bishops suggestion. Also if you do it this way be sure to have a firewall application installed on your machine like ZoneAlarm .
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds