Skip to main content

Clarify on DNS?

More
19 years 11 months ago #3784 by Kn1ght
Clarify on DNS? was created by Kn1ght
We have a networked Printer in the office named <blah> Blah has a IP address, but we move it from site A. to site B. Exactly how does DNS make it so that it stills knows that it is Blah, via automation? Not manually changing it?
ANyone know a website that talks more about that?
Thanks
Kn1ght

Thanks
More
19 years 11 months ago #3795 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Clarify on DNS?
Hmm I dont know if I quite understood this but..

The printer gets assigned its IP address via BOOTP (DHCP) ? Or is it statically addressed..

If it is statically addressed then no changes need to be made to teh DNS as there will be a mapping as such :

BLAH 192.168.0.10

No matter where BLAH goes, as long as it has 192.168.0.10, it will be reachable as BLAH.

If it is a dynamically assigned address then the DNS will have to be updated in some way.. some systems support a feature where they dynamically register their new address in the DNS.. I'm not sure if your printer has the IQ for that.

Here's to Blah !

blah blah blah

Cheers

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #3800 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Clarify on DNS?
Thanks bud, that is what I thought-- I'm trying to find some more information on DNS and how you can change records exc. Everything I can find is just an explaination of what DNS does. I know what it does these days, I want to know *how* it does it. Changing scope for the DCHP, exc... You know a good website that explains in more details DNS, (seems how Chris is being lazy and didn't write on on this website yet!!! *SNAP!*)

Thanks S ur the bomb.

Kn1ght

Thanks
More
19 years 11 months ago #3805 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Clarify on DNS?
Okay okay Knight ... I get the hint ...... It's already on the "to do" list :)

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 11 months ago #3819 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Clarify on DNS?
but that doesn't hlep me right now *pout* I found an awesome tutorial from microsoft.com but I can't seem to get it to work right. it is an .iso file and when I make the CD the intro works great, but then it just dies... grrr.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B330511

anyone bored and want to take a look at that CD and tell me if I'm just stupid and doing something wrong? it is unheard of for Microsoft to make something that doesn't work right! <grins>

Thanks
More
19 years 11 months ago #3821 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Clarify on DNS?

the intro works great, but then it just dies... grrr.

This is a common problem with Microsoft Products. It apparently affects the following as well :

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows Me
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server 2003
Microsoft Office (all versions)

DOS however is an exception.. :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds