Skip to main content

why change subnet mask?

More
20 years 10 months ago #308 by s970022
in my company, we just update the network, replace hubs with switchs, and we just use one router in the network. one of the consultants suggests us to change the subnet mask on all computers from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.248.0

why need to change the subnet mask? so strange.
[img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
More
20 years 10 months ago #309 by s970022
Replied by s970022 on topic why change subnet mask?
yeah, i find the answer myself, so i post the answer and hope to help every one had read this post.

coz in the hub environment, when i (host A) send a message to B. then the message wil go to the hub first and the hub will broadcast my message to every host in the same subnet, so that the traffic is large, if at the same time C send a message and the message reach the hub as A's message reach, the collision occurs. so that we need to reduce the number of the host in each subnet in order to reduce the collision.

but after we change to switch environment, can be said, no collision will occur, so we allow large traffic in the subnet, so we can have more pc in one subnet.
More
20 years 10 months ago #310 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic why change subnet mask?
Your findings are correct, but keep in mind they do not explain why the subnet mask should have been changed from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.248.0.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hosts are on your network?

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone who uses a class C network to increase it and subnet it aswell, unless they has special requirements.

Anyone else with some thoughts on the topic ?

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds