Skip to main content

A simple cabling question...

More
21 years 1 month ago #307 by kektex
I have a dsl connection to my house with an efficient speedstream modem.The modem is connected to the phone line in a computer room about 15m from my bedroom but I don`t want to throw CAT5 through the middle of the house everytime I want to connect my laptop to the internet in my bedroom.So I was thinking of running CAT5 through the walls.
Is it as simple as buying two RJ45 wall jacks and the necessary length of CAT5 to run through the walls?
Mount one jack to the wall of the computer room ,another one in my bedroom and attach each end of the cat5 to each jack.Then when I want to use the laptop in my bedroom just plug the CAT5 that goes from the DSL router to the jack in the computer room and the laptop to the bedroom jack.Sort of like an extension of the cat5 that goes from the router to the NIC in my main PC.
Will that work? I read thorugh the cabling guides and I got most of it but i dont know if i have to modify the instructions in any way to get what I need.
Sorry about my english its not my first languaje [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for any help.Excellent site you have here.
More
20 years 6 months ago #740 by sahirh
I'm not exactly a cable guy.. but that sounds like it should work just fine.

Good luck,
Sahir.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds