Skip to main content

Please Suggest....

More
15 years 2 months ago #29151 by timparker
Replied by timparker on topic Re: Please Suggest....
I will take a stab here. From what I am getting out of your "colorful" grammar is that you want users to sign in to see web pages. In windows, this is done with NTLM (Active Directory, File/Share permissions).

First step like what everyone has said, is AD. You can use local accounts to a machine, but the maint. and overhead will probably drive you nuts.

Once you have AD set up, you create the users, the groups and then assign permissions for the files based on those groups. If the person is already signed in, they will just be able to go right into the share, if not, they will be prompted.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29159 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic so wat happens......
hey thanks for ur suggestion so what happens to the Admin. Will he have rights over all other accounts. Note this, the admin will not be using the server system he will be using his own laptop and wants to have admin rights over all other accounts.

well i will take to consideration the AD thingy.. will the admin have rights over other accounts?

Gracias

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 2 months ago #29162 by timparker
Replied by timparker on topic Re: Please Suggest....
The admin account that you use when logging into say a NetGear router or AP as you referenced is built into the router. Once you log in you can and should change that or at least add a different user and disable the default account.

In AD you will can and will also have an Administrator account that can in the AD forest, control and do everything. You also can just as easily create a new user name HoneyBun with your own super top secret password my favorite is "PinkFuzzyBunnySlippers!" but don't tell anyone.

IN AD you will do like Sose and the others said, of creating accounts that each person will use and then organize them into OU's. Each workstation will then need to be joined into the domain and then they can start using them on this network.

Hope this helps.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29165 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Please Suggest....
Your client can be added into the domain administrative group and no one else. the guys that built active directory built it is such a way that scripts in C and other languages can be easily integrated into it. so you can build log on scripts

Timparker
thank you for stepping into this issue, but you stepped in too late when I have already taken two heavy punches from talk2sp. And the guy is still flexing for more blows. You should have held him before making any comment. Now I have to incure some medical bills.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29171 by talk2sp
well this is just beginning to make sense. i will do as u people have said. i am going through some tips on AD @ support.microsoft.com/kb/324753

thanks Sose and Timparker. thanks for making me understand Timparker u said less but u passed the message across within a short while. U guys are team mates.

I will do as u all have suggested i will create AD and add users i want. but that means b4 i add the users i have to get all their computer names right?

What do u think about CuteFTP can i also achieve similar with it. so users after logging on to the server can download files and also upload (all this will happen within one intranet).

Will users still be able to access and perform all this in the creation of AD will they be able to logon and upload files as well as get files but with limited rights.
Remember the Admin will be the main person to control other users from his laptop.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 2 months ago #29173 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Please Suggest....
Abraham lincoln is rumored to have said that if he is given 8 hrs to cut down a tree, he will spend 6hrs shapening his axe

Before going around installing active directory, you have to really work on the design structure. spend time - study the organisation, their requirements. make a feasibility study, talk to staffs in different departments. if possible deploy it in a test environment before the production environment .

have a super week

the operating system is thesame wherever you go
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds