Skip to main content

Please Suggest....

More
15 years 2 months ago #29120 by talk2sp
Please Suggest.... was created by talk2sp
Hey my people. how you guys doing....

Ok this is it: -

i installed 3 network plotters, 3 access points, and other wireless clients, a server (hp server) with winserver 2003, also created an Intranet for them within 3 buildings. everything went well and my client was tripped and was fascinated with the wireless thingy.... (he has never seen it work that good).. Ok he then slept one faithful nite and woke up the next blessed morning and said he wants everyone (worker / Architect) to be able to log onto the server with different administrative privileges. He as the boss will have the over all privilege. Now he wants the server to act as a database where the architects can upload their drawings. but they need to log on with their user name and passwords to be able to drop any file on the server...

My thoughts:

1. Creating an FTP server / application
2. MySQL
3. Still thinking..
4. Mapping network drive

Please guys i need suggestions or if there is some kind of app i could download which will work as server / client. so that when anyone wants to drop a file he might just open an windows explorer and type the server IP address say 192.168.1.102 and then it brings up the interface for log in...

or should i just go meet a developer who will handle that. (but i doubt if my client will be able to pay so much money) based on ur suggestion anyway i might just have to go the developer way but if there is some app already built and available online for sell or freeware then i will just download or buy it.

Any other techie suggestions please tell me what i should do..

Gracias

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #29128 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: Please Suggest....
Hi there talk2sp,

I may not be good but let me try, here is my suggestion:

1. Create a domain (AD) so the users will have to use their NT login in their PCs.
2. Create a fileserver, create a folder for each function/department so the users will save their files in specified folders (restrictions via domain/AD account (PC login) or you can create a global or domain groups for easy management)
3. Create a script on your domain (AD) so that everytime the users login in their PC it will have an automatic drive mapped (fileserver) on their desktop. Also restriction will depends on their current login.

Hope to help.

Cheers! :D
More
15 years 2 months ago #29130 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Please Suggest....
From my observation, the network is growing and becoming complex.

first, your client need to employ a system administrator with a knowledge of active directory

second, the 2003 server need to be promoted to a domain controller.

third, create an organisational unit for each department or project your client is handling and draw a group policy on each OU

fourth, configure access permission for public folders or personal folder on the nertwork

this looks like an architectural firm with lot of rendering and animation activities I will suggest a lot of investment on hardware- RAM Extra processor etc

have a super week
the operating system is thesame wherever you go
More
15 years 2 months ago #29137 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic oh enuf....

From my observation, the network is growing and becoming complex.

first, your client need to employ a system administrator with a knowledge of active directory

oh Sose enuf of this too much Grammar...... have u not worked with some people who no matter how complex their network / system interaction might be, they won't employ no IT guy cos they don't want to pay per month. huh?

moreso, what are u indirectly implying in ur statement about the client need employ blah blah blah......?

second, the 2003 server need to be promoted to a domain controller

? u don't get it.....?

Gagamboy thanks for ur 1daful suggestions i think i will go tru them...

Sose u really did not get wat i want. no alteration to be done to any existing config. i just want a logon auth. simple.

i wanted to come this morning and read something gorgeous. well still waiting for more post....

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
More
15 years 2 months ago #29138 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Please Suggest....
relax boy!!
you are not doing bad, you ve just built a wonderful network but you need to go farther than that.

talk2sp said

he then slept one faithful nite and woke up the next blessed morning and said he wants everyone (worker / Architect) to be able to log onto the server with different administrative privileges. He as the boss will have the over all privilege.

your network need to be running active directory service to achieve this effectively.

gagamboy said
1. Create a domain (AD) so the users will have to use their NT login in their PCs.

me and gagamboy are leading you to thesame place - active directory, promote that 2003 to a domain controller

I have been running active directory on systems alot these days. the setup is very simple and to control admin priviledges then you need to be flexible with you group policy

have a supper week
More
15 years 2 months ago #29140 by talk2sp
Sose other systems who might or who will be logging into the server system run windows vista, just few run windows xp. ok see it like this.

u open a web page and type : 192.168.1.1 (we all know that this is the default ip add for the web based configuration for linksys routers and AP's). now upon typing this address it will ask u for a username and a password... So?

that is similar to what i want. i have an idea of what to do but i need an idea stronger than mine. i thought of just making it an FTP server or mapping network drive i could still achieve same purpose. but i need a stronger idea and more techie. (out of the blues idea, an idea that is not common thats what i need)

Sose u see now that link sys web config page is a database kind of. cos wen u for instance change ur wireless key it stores it up. and u could also upgrade ur firmware from the system meaning if they made the facility possible, one will be able to...............

i hope u get the picture now.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds