Skip to main content

Expanding Wireless range with two routers

More
15 years 2 months ago #29127 by S0lo
I assume here that your desktop connects wirelessly to the router downstairs. Or is it wired?

Your problem (as far as I understand it) is in range. Since you can't connect the routers via a UTP cable, then you have to find a way to relocate the routers/laptop/desktop to make wireless range downstairs reach upstairs. Even if you find a way to pair the two routers, how are they going to reach each other if they are out of range?!! The problem is in physical location, as far as I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

First, I'd try digging in the router (upstairs) UI config, see if there is an option were you can make it work as a repeater (range expander). I don't think there is but I'd check just in case.

Second, have you thought of relocating the router upstairs? can you put it in the middle (say near the stairs) so that it's easier for you to wire them together?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 2 months ago #29129 by Onumis
thank you for your responses.

My desktop, downstairs, connects through wire, and yes, the problem is range, i've bean messing up with my routers config but until now no luck;

I can relocate the second router, upstairs, but 1st I have to configurate it properly.

I'll rest on the case, maybe i'll came up with an idea.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29172 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic range?
are we sure its not a channel thing, antenna beacon, well Onumis ur problem is a little one cos i have experienced same and i tell u i made a post here and someone said something about having same wireless equipments on same channel and also changing the mode of one. R1 will be the main gateway, R2 will turn from a wireless router to a wireless AP. meaning that to connect to R@ u wil be using auth from R1

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds