Skip to main content

Expanding Wireless range with two routers

More
15 years 1 month ago #29113 by Onumis
Hey there!

I can't solve this problem:
* I have two wireless routers, one old (D-link G604T) and one new (D-link 3170i/PT);
* I have 2 computers one dowstairs(desktop) and one upstairs(laptop with wireless card);
* only the new router is connected to internet;
* Impossible to connect the routers through ethernet;
* I want internet upstairs ;(

possible ways to solve it:
* buy a new router that supports IEEE 802.11n - too much expensive
* buy a device to automatically expand wireless signals - too much expensive
* buy a new antena for the new router - cant do cause the new routers antenna does not come out :\
* configure the two routers to create a new network so that all my house has internet :D!!!

I tryed to do this last one, but i fail, I got my laptop to ping all other stations, but still not have internet, and other stations cant ping my laptop.

Can someone help me? or propose a new solution?
thanks for your time.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29116 by KiLLaBeE
You may not have been able to ping your laptop from the other computers because your laptop's firewall was on....could you check on that?

Either way, could you give us more info on the last possible solution? I'm having trouble understanding it.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29117 by Onumis
Well it is not firewall problem, and what i want is to properly configure the two routers so that the wireless range is extended, thus allowing me to have internet in any place in my home.

My idea was to have the 2 routers to have the same SSID and all the others wireless settings, and one has the IP 192.168.10.1, and the other 192.168.10.49, for instance,

Seams that I am missing something, I tryed to configure the old router to create a bridge, but I dont know exactly how to do that or if that works....

hope I explained something
More
15 years 1 month ago #29121 by talk2sp
Onumis sorry i did not really go tru wat u wrote fully but i think i get the picture. Turn one of ur wireless routers to an Access Point. then from the main router connected to the internet modem connect from one of the port (say port 3) to the other router which u turned to an access point (port 1) do no connect any thing on the wan port (the internet port on ur second router). then the one u have just converted to an AP thats the second w/router u might just decide to make it access ip address from the main router by putting a static dhcp add on it. Say 172.30.52.52

now bcos i will not advice u to go tru the stress of having to change security key all time so i suggest u use the ip address thing (similar to BooTP).

if u do just this, the probability u will get a head when u flip a coin is 89.5% (now u knw wat that means)

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 1 month ago #29123 by Onumis
but I cant connect the two routers by wire, all must be done wirelessly, is it possible?
More
15 years 1 month ago #29126 by sose
we are interested in how you bridged the two routers , even though it appeared to be one way communication.

I pick the range expander option and beside the configuration is automatic.. plug and detect
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds