Skip to main content

Need a simple Definition for Tracert

More
15 years 8 months ago #26880 by Rickie
when we do a tracert wat is the three lines denotes next to the S.No... is it a min ,max and average... if tats so.. wat does it means exactly.. ?
More
15 years 8 months ago #26884 by TheBishop
Tracert works by sending a series of packets to determine the routing hops between where you are and the destination address you specify. It does this by sending a series of ICMP echo requests to the far end. The first attempt has the TTL in the packet set to 1. The first router on the path decrements this to 0 and therefore cannot forward the packet, so it (the router) sends back a TTL exceeded message. Thus the router's IP address is discovered. Tracert then repeats the exercise but with a TTL of 2. The first router passes this, decrementing the TTL to 1, but the second router cannot forward the packet so sends back a TTL exceeded, revealing its address. And so on until either the destination is reached or you exceed the maximum number of hops that tracert is configured to allow.
Each line of output corresponds to one iteration of the TTL as explained above. The reason you see three times on each line is that each 'step' is tried three times, giving you three round-trip time figures for each hop along the route
More
15 years 8 months ago #26885 by Chojin
Nice one Bishop!

+1 Credit from Chojin :)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
15 years 8 months ago #26895 by S0lo

The reason you see three times on each line is that each 'step' is tried three times, giving you three round-trip time figures for each hop along the route

Never knew that part before. Good question and great answer indeed. :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #26911 by Rickie
Thanks a lot GUys..... now i know how the tracert works and methodology... so its not min and max anymore... ... its just trying to send three times..Rite.. so
More
15 years 8 months ago #26912 by TheBishop
Heh! I didn't know myself but it was an intriguing question so I googled it...
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds