Skip to main content

Internet on/off control (ideas needed)

More
16 years 7 months ago #23141 by Smurf
I was thinking around the idea of installing ISA Server or Websense or something along them lines (websense have released an express version aimed at <1000 users). I would still expect it too be quite expensive but it is really easy to use and flexible.

I am not familiar with IPCOP so i cannot really advise on that i am affraid.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23149 by beexo
While searching in the WEB, I came across a program called "Remote Vaccine" from "Horizondatasystems". I think this could be a candidate for this solution. Anyone know this software?

Once again, the solution should be as easy as possible.

Beexo
More
16 years 6 months ago #23468 by licobe
I do this very thing at work for school teachers so they can turn internet on or off for five classrooms with 30 computers each.

Easy? It isn't hard.

The students all proxy to a Dansguardian (DG) server running on Suse 10.
DG isn't set to do any content filtering at all because we use another product for filtering.
I set up banned IP lists in DG for each of the classrooms.
The DG box is also running Webmin with the DG module installed. I created accounts in Webmin for each of the teachers, and only gave them access to the DG module.
All they have to do is go to Webmin in their web browsers and either add a "#" or remove a "#" to the beginning of a line, click on save and then click restart DG, and internet is on or off.

Dansguardian and Webmin will run on almost any flavor of Linux, and are easy to set up. I haven't checked on whether they'll run on Windows, but I figure I have to restart enough machines for users during the day anyway.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23923 by beexo

Easy? It isn't hard.

DG isn't set to do any content filtering at all because we use another product for filtering.

I am also interested in a content filter. Which do you use?

The idea is good, but I need something simpler, because some of these people are somewhat computer iliterate.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23931 by monsky
if you have a dedicated switch for each room, it is easy to put a wall power switch (like a switch of light) so if the teacher could on/of the internet connection. no need to be techies.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23981 by jtartist
We use a program called Vision & Surflock. You install the management tool on a single computer for example, and install the client utility on each workstation that needs internet access controled. The person running the management tool, in our case a teacher, has control over each computer, and can block internet access for each computer individually or as a group, all at the click of a button. The program has many other features, but you can check it out and download their demo from here if you are interested:

www.genevalogic.com/index.php?id=surf-lock-usa
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds