Skip to main content

Internet on/off control (ideas needed)

More
16 years 6 months ago #23125 by beexo
Hi all,

Lets brainstorm...

I am looking for a solution to do the following.

I have a LAN that has various workstation and servers (that users need to access) as well as internet access from all computers.

What I am looking for is a way to block or allow internet access to some computers anytime I want. This is necessary because sometimes the users need to access the internet, but other times they need to concentrate on other things and I need to force them not to use the internet.

All ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Beexo
More
16 years 6 months ago #23128 by Rockape
Have you thought about some kind of Access Control List. If you set something like this up, it would just be a case of adding/removing a PC from the list to allow/disallow Internet Access.

Just a thought, but I'm sure someone will come up with a better idea ;)
More
16 years 6 months ago #23131 by beexo
Don't know much about ACLs, or ho to implement them,but will look into it.

Note: The servers are not necessarily Windows based.

The solution should be as simple as possible, since the people that will be granting or denying access have little IT knowledge. But I will accept all sugestions.

Cheers,
Beexo
More
16 years 6 months ago #23132 by Smurf
Can you provide a few more bits of information ?

1. Do you have a budget on this ?
2. What device is currently linked to the interent to provide your connectivity ?

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23135 by Chris
If you have a Cisco router, you can make use of the graphical interface (SDM) and insert/remove Access lists as suggested by Rockape. It's a easy and quite fast way to restrict Internet access.

Another way would be to pass everyone through a proxy and take control from there; or even use group policies within Active Directory to change the clients IE browser settings and restrict access;

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
16 years 6 months ago #23139 by beexo
1. Do you have a budget on this ?
Some.

2. What device is currently linked to the interent to provide your connectivity ?
Currently we use IPCOP as the NAT/Router/Firewall.

Cheers,
Beexo
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds