Skip to main content

Hub vs Switch problem

More
20 years 9 months ago #207 by tfs
Hub vs Switch problem was created by tfs
I have been trying to run 2 of my Protocol Analyzers (Observer and NetMon) and was unable to see Lan traffic, except Broadcasts and packets only to the PC the analyzer was on.

This left me with 2 answers to this problem. Either I was on a switch (which I wasn't - I had the systems I was working on connect to a Linksys Hub), or the NIC card didn't have Promiscuous Mode ( or it wasn't on). After much switching of cards and checking with intel - they promptly told me that all their cards had Promiscuous Mode and were always on (which was why I couldn't see it in the properties page). This was driving me crazy.

I had another linksys Hub (one was an Etherfast workgroup hub and the other was an Everywhere Hub that I just bought). Same result. They were acting like switches. I then got an old 10BaseT Hub I used to use from my garage (about 5 years old) and low and behold - it works fine.

What is going on here? The main difference between a hub and a switch is that on a hub all traffic is seen by all ports and on a switch packets will only be seen by the port it is destined for (unless it is a higher end switch with Port Spanning).

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Tom.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 8 months ago #208 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Hub vs Switch problem
I just checked this out with Network Instruments and they confirmed what I figured.

Many of the new Hubs are really switches! The 2 hubs I have from Linksys are really switches. Linksys will deny this say they are not. But they are creating a tunnel from one port to another - a switch. It won't get to the computer on a port if a packet is not destined for it - a switch. Has nothing to do with the NIC card but the port itself.

This is very irritating as it seems impossible to know when you are buying a hub or not. In my case, I bought a hub specifically for my analyzer and now I can't return it, as I have already gotten rid of the box and related documents.

Apparently, netgears hubs are hubs but not linksys hubs (don't know about dlink).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 8 months ago #209 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Hub vs Switch problem
It seems like linksys is selling hubs as switches [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thats very odd indeed!

I have never come across a similar problem. I've used mostly Dlink, Netgear and compex hubs.

Thats for letting us know about it!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 8 months ago #210 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Hub vs Switch problem
Actually, it is the other way around. They are selling switches as hubs.

This is very strange as I don't understand what there motivation is. I have used their stuff for a while and have been quite happy about it. I did leave them a post about it and waiting for a reply. I'll post it when/if I get it.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds