Skip to main content

Outlook Express and Linux

More
20 years 7 months ago #103 by papsii
1. I am connected to a LAN Network. I have received a mail consisting of virus. I would be very gratful if any one have an idea of which function in Microsoft Outlook Express I can use to block receiving more virus in the future such as: w32.Badtrans.mm.enc and other similar ones.

2. I will like to know if there is client and server OS in Linux as in Windows.
I have Linux version 7.3 Can I use it to build a server If not which one should I look for?
Thank you in advance.
Hope to hearing from whom may have idea and reply to my request.
From Samuel
skolearbejd@yahoo.co.uk

Papsii
More
20 years 7 months ago #104 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Outlook Express and Linux
papsii

just to answer your first question your best way to protect yourself from getting virus's is to have some sort of antivirus installed and your definitions up to date e.g norton antivirus, although you can use outlook to filter out certain things like junk mail and adult content this is not much use to you for virus's because you dont know where there coming from.

i'm not to sure about linux,i know the latest version is redhat 9 i presume you can use it for both.maybe someone eles might help you out on that as i dont have much experience in linux

hope this help.
More
20 years 7 months ago #105 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic Outlook Express and Linux
Linux is an Open source system and the install disks have all the systems you will need to run a server, you just need to install the correct items. If you really want to buy linux server software companies like redhat sell different versions of linux that are targeted for different server set ups.

for example if you wanted to run a mail server look into sendmail.

if you want to run a file server that windows can connect to try samba

both samba and sendmail are on most linux distributions

hope this helps
More
20 years 7 months ago #106 by Tarun
Replied by Tarun on topic Outlook Express and Linux
Hi, there is an option in Outlook Express to block messages from particular e-mail ids or from particular domains.

Just click on the Tools-->Message Rules-->Blocked Senders list
Here add the e-mail address from which u r getting this type of mails or enter the domain name ... the part after the "@" symbol.

All the mails from the blocked users would be directly sent to the deleted items floder and u would not inadvertently open it.

Also keep you message preview off in outlook express so that your e-mail containing viruses are not automatically executed by opening up in your preview pane ...

I think that might have solved your first peoblem completely ... enjoy ... [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds