Skip to main content

Using NetStumbler

More
14 years 4 months ago #32974 by FishNBone
Using NetStumbler was created by FishNBone
Hihi!

I am doing a practical about NetStumbler but then I have a problem about it... when I switch it on at the bottom of NetStumbler there is a sentence of words saying "Access is denied". I do not understand

When I checked my practical, it says that turn of your Windows Wireless Configuration Service so that NetStumbler can manage the wireless signal. However when I tried to find it I couldn't. I read a comment on another forum it says that turn off your Windows Zero Wireless Service, that I couldn't find it as well.

Can anyone help me?

FishnBone
More
14 years 4 months ago #32982 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: Using NetStumbler
It's ages since I played with NetStumbler. Is the problem related to the account that you're using when logging onto Windows? Is it admin level?
More
14 years 4 months ago #32983 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Using NetStumbler
Are you a local admin on the computer?

NetStumbler is setup to automatically stop the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service (or whatever its name is) when you launch it. If NetStumbler is saying "access denied," then I suspect it tried to use your username and password to do it, but failed since you don't have access.

Try to stop it manually:
1. Go to Start > Run, and type services.msc and hit OK
2. When the Services MMC comes up, look for and select the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (or whatever its name is), and click the Stop button.

If you aren't an admin, you'll be told either access denied or another message that implies such. At that point, you'll just need to do this with an account with local admin rights. I can't remember if you can edit NetStumbler's settings to use different credentials to do this...
More
14 years 4 months ago #32986 by FishNBone
Replied by FishNBone on topic Re: Using NetStumbler

It's ages since I played with NetStumbler. Is the problem related to the account that you're using when logging onto Windows? Is it admin level?

Hi SteveP! I suppose I am cause I am the only user on my laptop also is there any other ways to find?
More
14 years 4 months ago #32988 by FishNBone
Replied by FishNBone on topic Re: Using NetStumbler

Are you a local admin on the computer?

NetStumbler is setup to automatically stop the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service (or whatever its name is) when you launch it. If NetStumbler is saying "access denied," then I suspect it tried to use your username and password to do it, but failed since you don't have access.

Try to stop it manually:
1. Go to Start > Run, and type services.msc and hit OK
2. When the Services MMC comes up, look for and select the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (or whatever its name is), and click the Stop button.

If you aren't an admin, you'll be told either access denied or another message that implies such. At that point, you'll just need to do this with an account with local admin rights. I can't remember if you can edit NetStumbler's settings to use different credentials to do this...

Hmm there anyway that i can find? I cannot find the service
More
14 years 4 months ago #32990 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Using NetStumbler
To find out if you're an admin:
1. Go to Start > Run, type lusrmgr.msc and hit OK.
2. Click the Groups node
3. Double-click the Administrators group
4. Then your username should be in that group
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds