Skip to main content

Intel Macs!

More
16 years 3 months ago #24572 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Intel Macs!
I use Premiere Pro for editing. I have no MAC to use the over rated Final Cut :-)
More
16 years 3 months ago #24590 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Intel Macs!
I'm using a 24" iMac running the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz processor with 3gigs of 667MHz RAM. I also installed a 750gig hard drive to hold all my movies I plan on making here soon. I haven't installed Final Cut Pro yet, but do you think those specs will run it smootly?

I know the new iMac's have a 2.88GHz processor and 4gigs of RAM. But that always happens, you buy hardware and within a few months or so your hardware is surpassed.

That Mac Pro's are definitely made for running Final Cut Pro! The Mac Pro used to hold 8gigs of RAM, but now it holds up to 16gigs!!! Thats insane!! Then run 2 3.0GHz Dual Core Xeon processors! Wow!! I like, boy do I like!!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 3 months ago #24598 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Intel Macs!
Well, whenever we want to use a good piece of software we want to have the best kit in town. Don't forget that even professionals don't upgrade their hardware all the time.
Your setup seems fine to me, and covers final cut's specs. Just don't use uncompressed HD content as it requires 4GB of RAM.
Give it a try and I'm sure the only difference will be in applying effects, transitions etc.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24652 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Intel Macs!
4gigs of RAM for uncompressed HD content!! Wow! Is that the bare minimum? Go figure, I would really like to play in the HD world. I mean once you've seen HD feeds, that is all you want the end product to be in. So, you'll need a 8gig box to be able to multi-task and run the HD content. You figure other applications opened, and the OS doing its thing. I remember when 1gig of RAM meant you were king! Now 1 gig of RAM is equivalent to 256mb back in the day! The rollout of technology!!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 3 months ago #24657 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Intel Macs!
nnbnbAbsolutely true my friend. Remember the old days with sayings like:
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." by our old fella Bill :)

From what I saw on the site, 4gigs is the recommendation not the minimum, so it should mean that you are running other things like mail and safari on the backdrop. Remember that most of the times your HD content would be compressed so 3gigs should be ok. A nice utility that you could use when you are doing intensive things is FreezeFrame www.elgebar.com/freezeframe.html which allows you to "pause" an application instantly. You can get this app for free through macheist.com by solving the latest briefing.

H
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds