Skip to main content

Packet Tracer- "Dark Green LED"

More
14 years 1 month ago #33623 by prusso69
I am wondering why I have dark green lights between one host and a port on the layer 2 switch. I have a network with vlans and intervlan routing. All other host attached to their respective vlans have the lighter green blinking lights and ping across the network. The one with the dark green light is very very sporadic. I can send the file as requested.

Thanks in advance
More
14 years 1 month ago #33636 by S0lo
Yes, posting a link to the pkt file would surely help us understand better. You could use www.2shared.com or whatever.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 1 month ago #33640 by prusso69
Replied by prusso69 on topic Link to PT file
Solo,

Here is the link to my problem file. Please reference the link attached between the host and the switch on vlan 203.

www.2shared.com/file/11326118/f41a2409/Case_Study.html

Thanks in advance.
More
14 years 1 month ago #33645 by S0lo
Here is the fixed file:

www.2shared.com/file/11342814/f25f315a/Case_Study_fixed.html

The switches were all put into VTP server mode, only one switch should be server and rest are clients. I've done the following on one of the switches:

[code:1]vtp mode server[/code:1]

Then all other switches would have:

[code:1]vtp mode client[/code:1]

I also defined a VTP domain name (DOM1) on the server switch:

[code:1]vtp domain DOM1[/code:1]

It worked after that.

By the way, there seams to be other problems, for example VLAN99 is assigned to have different IPs in the two layer 3 switches. I would suggest you assign the IP of the VLAN only on one of the switches and leave the other.

Tel us if you need further help.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 1 month ago #33646 by prusso69
Thanks Solo,

Does VTP on the switch default to server mode? I have not done anything with VTP yet.

I have the vlan99 on two separate subnets because the link between the two layer 3 switches is a routed link. I was told that if the link was routed that you had to have them on separate subnets. If the link was a trunk then they could be on one subnet. The link between the L3 switches and going upward, is all in the OSPF area according to my case study.

Thanks again for your help.
More
14 years 1 month ago #33652 by S0lo

Does VTP on the switch default to server mode?

It seams so.

I have the vlan99 on two separate subnets because the link between the two layer 3 switches is a routed link. I was told that if the link was routed that you had to have them on separate subnets. If the link was a trunk then they could be on one subnet. The link between the L3 switches and going upward, is all in the OSPF area according to my case study.

You're right, I did not realize that it's a routed link. Still, as far as I know, a VLAN is essentially a single subnet. Meaning that all traffic within hosts in that VLAN is not routed, i.e it should not get passed layer 2 switching. For example, when you ping PC4 from PC5, it will work in your configuration, but if you trace the packet (in simulation mode) you will find that it passes through the routed link, although they are in the same VLAN!!.

Again, I'm not saying this will not work. I'm saying it's not meant to be this way. Besides, you might run into some trouble when you start defining sub-interfaces on routers (router on a stick). Two sub-interfaces might need to be defined for the same VLAN ID, which is not possible.

But don't take my words for it, trying and experimenting weird things is a great way to learn ;)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds