Skip to main content

Booting XM Images on Non-XM 2600

More
14 years 6 months ago #31777 by sharky1337
Hey Cisco Experts,

I'm studying for the CCNA and i want to build my own little lab. I don't like simulation tools like packet tracer and so on. I want to have Cisco hardware in front of me ;) . So i checked many websites and read a lot of interesting stuff.

Last week i get my first cisco 3640. I want to add one or two in a month. But the 3640 isn't very cheap.

Today I stumble arround and have found this nice tutorial.

www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/tftpdnld.htm

Now my question: Is it still working ? I know that i don't need OSPV v3 or IPv6 in my CCNA work but CCNA is not the end of my career.

Please help me.

Feel free to correct my bad english ;)
More
14 years 6 months ago #31779 by Regeth
I don't believe that will work at all. You are asking to boot an IOS for a 2600XM router on a 3640. What you want to do is look for this IOS.

c3640-is-mz.123-18a.bin

It's verison 12.3.18a, general deployment. IP Plus. it will have all the IPv6 options you should need.
More
14 years 6 months ago #31800 by sharky1337
Hey,

thanks for your help. I'm not trying to install the image of the 2600xm on my 3640.

I only want to know. If it still possible to boot the xm image on a 2610?

The 2610 is much cheaper and smaller than the 3640. So i can get more routers in my lab in a short period of time.

Another question comes up if i saw that the 2611 have only one ethernet port, not a fast ethernet port. Do i really need a f/a port? I can't imagine for what purpose i need 100 mbps.
More
14 years 6 months ago #31814 by S0lo

I only want to know. If it still possible to boot the xm image on a 2610?

From the link you've posted. It's seams really possible. The guy explains it thoroughly. The main difference between say a 2610 and 2610XM is that you get extra flash memory with the XM version (The maximum DRAM possible is also higher in XMs). The second table in this link has details: www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/access.../guide/concepts.html

The newer IOS images just can't fit in the small 8MB flashes of the none-XM routers. The link you provided explains a way of directly loading the IOS from a TFTP server to DRAM (without flash). So it looks possible, but as he explains: "Since the image will be running from RAM a TFTP download will be required every time the router is rebooted".

Another question comes up if i saw that the 2611 have only one ethernet port, not a fast ethernet port. Do i really need a f/a port? I can't imagine for what purpose i need 100 mbps.

You need at least one Fast Ethernet port to create a trunk between the router and a switch. Ethernet ports does not support trunks. I know it sounds a little odd, but thats tried and true.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 6 months ago #32197 by sharky1337
s0l0 thanks so much :)

Today, i got two 2611xm routers! I have started both and they run very well. Now my next question :P . I'm a silent freak i can't hear my pc, but the cisco routers make a terrible noise. Have anyone ever replace one of the cisco fan with a nearly noiseless fan?
More
14 years 6 months ago #32211 by ZiPPy
Cisco equipment is indeed noisy. I love it!! Hence why I love working in our data center, where you have literally over 500,000 servers and over 600,000 pieces of Cisco equipment running at the same time. It's the sound of music!!

Not sure about replacing the fans, but you could always place the Cisco equipment in a rack and dynamat it. This will reduce the sound greatly.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds