Skip to main content

New Firewall.cx Site Problems

More
20 years 6 months ago #597 by Chris
Due to the amount of visitors the site is accepting, the SQL database hourly query limit that this new interface uses, reaches it's limits within 15 minutes.

As a result, all further SQL queries within the same hour the limit is reached are denied, brining the site offline and producing an error.

We are currently working on the problem and ask for your patience while we fix this issue.

Until a permanent solution is found, we are forced to switch between our old and new Web Interface to trial our various solutions, hoping to find one that willl work for us.

Thank you.

On behalf of - The Firewall.cx Team -

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #598 by Manip
Why not use plain text files, they are not that much slower than SQL. Most people use SQL for the wrong reasons anyway, mainly cause they think it is cooler. It is faster but depends what your doing, I'm not suggesting you move the forum to plain text files but things like user options etc could be stored in /%HTTP_Root/UserBin/%UserName.cfg and setup a .HTAcess to stop people from viewing the files directly.... that is what I would do anyway :)
More
20 years 6 months ago #602 by Chris
Manip,

We spent 4 weeks converting the old CGI-BIN forum to this new one which is hightly intergrated with our Web Portal System.

If we were to split the Forums, it would require people to log in twice, once to access their site account and once to use the forums!

Sql is the future and this is what we have choosen to use. We will be working around the problems as they arise. It's simply a matter of time :)

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #610 by Manip
I am not suggesting splitting the forum and web-portal, I am suggesting directing certain queries to certain locations. Things that are accessed lots like the forum posts etc should be in SQL but things like User configurations and when a user logs in could be done though plain text file, I am not suggesting you alter the front end, I am saying you could alter the back end to make less use of SQL and make more use of some plain old files.

Based on reading your bug reports etc I'm sure this site could be DOS'ed at a drop of a hat and nobody wants that :)

If we were to split the Forums, it would require people to log in twice, once to access their site account and once to use the forums!

The forum profile and the web-portal 'Your Account' arn't, are you planning on doing that?

Note: Sorry for the 4 posts. I posted them got an error and when viewing the page they should have appeared on I didn't see them (might have been a refresh problem) so hit the button a couple more times before giving up. Please consider allowing users to delete their posts, it is so helpful and offers few disadvantages. :)
More
20 years 6 months ago #637 by Chris
Manip,

Cool avatar:)

We are still working on small problems, fixing them as we go.

Allowing users to delete their posts is a good suggestion and we will consider it. I'll speak to TFS about it and see what he thinks since he is the moderator of the most popular forums of the site.

As far as being DoS'ed, well, I hardly think its got anything to do with the layout and structure of the site. When a DoS attack is initiated against a server, no matter what type of structre you have, you are bound to be affected one way or another.

Let's just hope we won't be targetted! :)

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds