Skip to main content

Language Module

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3156 by Cheetah
Language Module was created by Cheetah
Hi Team,

The language module dont work. You still want it 'on' ;)

You can reserve that space for ads. :D

Regards
Cheetah.

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3165 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Language Module
Eh.. worked for me..
Now I'm just figuring out all the words in Arabic !! Bet you made me do this on purpose :)

Did someone say Ads.. Chris is allergic to most banner ads, makes him violently sick.. he apparently null routes the IPs of the link-exchange sites on every router he lays his hands on...

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor &amp; Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3200 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: Language Module
Hi

As a user I wont be interested in seeing some of the headings work, and leaves rest of the contents in same old language or the page completely unorganised, and with a lot of errors when I select a language. :)

BTW, do not tell me that it works perfect with IE. I believe in 'any browser' or rather I seldom use IE. OOOOhhhh, so all of us hate ads, Did I see some ads on 'buy from amazon' rolling there? ;)

Sometimes, I do believe in 'ads'. Lets keep Internet and affordable place. ;)

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3204 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Language Module
I'll just cover your main points quickly as I'm a bit pressed for time.

1. The languages are an option.. there are people who find it easier to navigate in their own language, regardless of whether the page material is in a different language. I know that I've been very happy when I've come accross Russian sites that use PHP-nuke and I've had the language option because I don't know what 'Downloads' looks like in Russian. (Ok now I do). If you look at the logs, you'll even see people coming in from altavistas babelfish translator.. in other words people do find the language a problem and try and study the material after putting it through those translators, which usually make it just about readable. Since its far beyond our capabilities to translate all the material into 10 different languages, the least we can do is let them navigate easily. I for one wonder what 'Max Arcade' reads like when translated to Japanese.

2. You will never catch me using IE, I use Mozilla Firefox (the best browser in this and every parallel universe), Opera, and yes I even use Lynx (for the uninitiated, its a text-only browser.. no pretty pictures, no java, no nothing.. its just fast as hell when you're doing research). If you look at the stats page , you'll see my 50 odd hits from Lynx ;). The PHP-Nuke portal system is very cross-browser friendly. I find it occasionaly renders strangely in Opera, but it supports Mozilla based engines very well (as most open source products do hehe).

3. When discussing ads, we don't want banner ads.. which is what most advertisers want you to have splashed on the top of the page.. the Amazon box is actually a PHP module, and it serves up content based on what the site is about.. thats why you see networking books there (ok so you'll occasionaly see the Matrix DVD but hey who's complaining).. Its not really an 'ad' because we are Amazon partners.. just like we have deals with Searchnetworking, and Prentice Hall, but you don't see their ads on the page. While the ads from Amazon may seem hypocritical, we honestly believe that it ads (pun intended) to the content.. many visitors come here when studying for certifications, and they like to know what books are available. About 40% of the posts in the Certifications / Books &amp; More forum are about which books are the best for X certification.

4. We've discussed introducing ads a couple of times.. Chris looked at the google ads, I was keen on the Alexa traffic graph, we toss these ideas around alot.. but ultimately content always wins.

This is what prevents Chris from being a dot-com (or a dot-cx) billionaire....

Keep the constructive criticism coming in, its always nice to get feedback.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor &amp; Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3205 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: Language Module
Hi

Nice explanations to keep me quite for few minutes ;) I appreciate.

As for constructive criticism, its always on. :D Would like to stop me there, you hve to disable my account. Just kidding :)

BTW, good to know that you also use firefox. ;) But as I have told I still sometimes use IE, as there are still lot of sites which works great on IE only, unfortunately. :(

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3206 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Language Module
Cheetah,

As Sahir said, we always appreciate members who give us feedback and also provides us with the opportunity to explain why certain things work differently on our site.

Ads are good as you noted, but we certainly do not prefer them as you would appreciate. Up till now, we have managed to avoid placing adds as our running costs are fairly under control!

As the site gains more popularity and its resources need to be pumped up, we might be forced to place some adds as I've noted a long time ago.

I don't need to explain the Amazon module since Sahir nailed it in his previous post, so I'll just get back to writing the Vlan topic :)

Cheers and thanks for your input!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds