Skip to main content

Cisco PIX515E Effectiveness Today.

More
13 years 1 month ago #36573 by einklienermench
Hi everyone, i was planning a new home network and found myslef asking if the old cisco pix515e is effective and may contribute to the security of the network today.
The main uses are a game server and a storage server. The line speed is 100/100 (SDSL).

The equipment in use in this order:
SDSL modem 100/100 (100mbit up/down)
Cisco PIX515E (Maybe)
Cisco 2611XM
Catalyst 2950
IBM servers and nas.

The major concern is that someone might gain from downtime on the server and i need to make sure that this wont happen. Also i would want to create a vpn connection so i can monitor my network remotely,
Will the 515e do?, will i protect my network from a small/medium scale dos/ddos attack?
More
13 years 1 month ago #36574 by Nevins
Honestly your ISP should stop dos attacks from happening to you.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 4 weeks ago #36583 by einklienermench
Replied by einklienermench on topic ISP
I honestly cant sit by and hope that my isp is doing its job well. Getting back to the topic, will not taking a chance and getting a 515e protect me from dos/ddos attacks?
More
13 years 4 weeks ago #36584 by JamieP
to be honest, configuring your router with the correct ACL's will prevent against most DDoS attacks as well as a PIX.

Im not to up on PIX's to be hoenst, but to my understanding, they dont do much in the way of traffic inspection ( i could be totally wrong here) assuming that is the case, it wont be able to identify a DDoS happening, so all you can do is block the traffic commonly associated with a DDoS (certain ICMP types, most UDP) but it wont be able to detect things like TCP Port exhaustion or flooding attacks.

Jamie Parks
Network Engineer, UK
More
13 years 4 weeks ago #36585 by einklienermench
So basically it would be a waste?, what about vpn?, can i configure the 2611xm/2651xm (not decided yet) to have a vpn channel so i can access it from my workplace?

Also What firewall can you recommend that will be able to provide good ddos/dos protection?, (i know for sure that the attacks will happen via dos/ddos on small botnets).
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds