Skip to main content

Internal Network/Nas Drives and Firewall

More
13 years 8 months ago #35326 by BagMan
Hi,
Hoping someone can clarify a couple of things.
I am setting up an internal network in the house.
Decided to use a Switch to share Mulitiple Dedicated Nas Drives for tasks ie. , Photos, Movies, work etc.. instead of a fully blown file server.

I have a firewall on my US robotics 9106 Modem/Router, (its comming up to 6 years old).

Do i need some extra protection ie a dedicated firewall between, the router and my internal drives in the same way as all my computers have Zone Alarm on. I am not sure if my Nas Drives will be able to be seen as they have IP addresses etc...

Been looking at these on Ebay NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall 8.

Any guidance/advice will be much appreciated.
More
13 years 7 months ago #35352 by S0lo
I assume here that the US robotics is doing NAT between your inside and the internet.

If your US robotics firewall is working and have been configured properly. And you don't have port frowarding configured on it to access the NAS drives from the internet. And the firmware/software of the firewall is up to date. Then I would say you shouldn't need an extra firewall.

However, If you want to access your NAS drives from the internet (ie. you need port forwarding). Then make sure the NAS is protected using a strong password.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 2 months ago #36257 by joshua064
Web threats are growing day by day, so for better protection security products should be updated on daily basis. To be on the safer side you can have dedicated firewall between the router and internal drives.

Internet Security Solutions
www.WatchGuard.com
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds