Skip to main content

Resolving DNS on website...

More
21 years 4 months ago #82 by Chris
Goti,

The problem you are reffering to is one which is common when you transfer a domain, and I'll explain soon why.

What I can't understand is why you should need to change any files on your personal computer in order to view or access a domain on the Internet. My guess is you probably edited the hosts file in your windows directoy and added something like "site.com 192.xxx.xxx.xxx".

When you transfer a domain, or redelegate it (thats the proper term) you must wait atleast 48 hours for the changes to propagate to on the Internet, that is, the other DNS servers that already have a cached version of your domain, just before it was redelegated. In this case, the best thing to do is to use the actual webhosting company's dns server for your lookups, since it will be the first dns server with the new information.

As far as the "www" part, well that could also be a different problem. Most webhosting companies will allow you to directly access and modify the DNS settings for your domain, and this could be a bit tricky if you have not done this before, and could end up stuffing parts of your domain.

The "www" is a alias (nickname) which maps the word "www" to a canonical name (usually the server's host name which your site is hosted on), for example, here at home, I have my website on voyager.space.net, so what I do is create an alias of 'www' which points to voyager.space.net, so speaking roughly, when I type " www.space.net " it gets translated to "voyager.space.net".

You can read more about it if your interestead on the following page: www.firewall.cx/index.php?c=dns-bind-db-space-net

I hope the above helps !

Cheers, [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 4 months ago #83 by GoTTi
Replied by GoTTi on topic Resolving DNS on website...
I redid the DNS information on Friday lastweek, and only on my computer it isn't resolving. But I can view the site on any1 else's computer.

I dunno what to do.
More
21 years 4 months ago #81 by GoTTi
Replied by GoTTi on topic Resolving DNS on website...
hi all...I found this site on google, so I hope some1 here can help me.

I moved my .com to another webhost recently, and the host has been updated on the web. I can view the site on other computers, except my main computer.

Thing is, I can't view the site going to:
www.SITE.com

only
SITE.com <---i can see that.

For some reason, it wont show me the site with (www). Because of that, I can't view portions of my site.

Last time this happend to me on my first transfer of domains, I had to edit something in a file or I think in DOS to allow the new IP for the new host to resolve. Something about cache...but I have cleaned the cache, and it still wont resolve.

Thats my problem, can any1 help me?
More
21 years 4 months ago #84 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Resolving DNS on website...
GoTTi,

If everyone elses computer, except your own, can see the site, then the problem is your computer.

What I advise you to do, is to check the DNS settings on your computer, try to change them to the settings of another pc which can see your site.

Also, try to remember which file you changed in DOS. Chances are that the changes you did are now the reason you cannont see the site.

As I said in the previous post, its most probably you edited the /windows/hosts (or host) file and made the changes, so you now need to undo them. If your running Winnt/2000/XP then the file is located in the /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/ directory.

Good luck with it, and keep up informed on your progress !!

Cheers,
[img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds