Skip to main content

connecting two wireless routers.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #38239 by Amer

Attachment networkdiag.jpg not found

Hi there,

This is the network diagram and as you can see the B970b wireless router is connected to internet but the B683 isnt and the B970b doesnt have access to the printers connected via ethernet cables on the B683 huawei router.

Please note : i already tried swapping the sim cards but the sim which have internet do is not supported in the huawei B683 hence, my plan of swapping the wireless routers in order to be able to bridge them dint work out that well for me....as the B970b have an bridge mode option in it but the B683 router doesnt.

Basically i want the PC connected wirelessly to B970b also should be able to access the printers connected to the router B683.Please assist me a way around it.Hope this image gives you a precise idea as to what i am conveying.

I also tried to go for the DD-WRT firmware but None of the huawei routers are compatable with it.

Bascially, as can be noticed i tried to bridge two wireless routers wirelessly after extensive research i came two that they cannot be bridged now i am trying to connect those two routers throught a cat5 cross-over cable and i wanted to know whether can i disable the DHCP on the router which have internet and enable the DHCP of the router which is connected to printers b'coz i have a few systems that shouldnt be connected to the internet.

what i had in mind is if i switch the DHCP OFF on the internet router and turn it ON on the huawei B683 router i can add those devices MAC addresses to the internet gateway router to deny the access to the internet..?

Bewaiting for your response....

Regards,
Amer

Aim for the moon dun worry even if you miss it,you'll land amongst the stars...
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Amer. Reason: inserting image
More
11 years 1 month ago #38241 by Nevins
Hello Amer,

Replace the Huawei b683 with an access point. Your network should only need one router. Also try to use a cable between the access point and router it makes life easier.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #38243 by chrnxR
Hey Amer,

1. Connecting the routers via crossover will work, just as you pointed out.
2. You dont have to disable one of the DHCP services, since both the DHCPs are in different networks
(3. This works as long as u dont have configured a DHCP relay in one of the networks)
4. In theory i dont see any problems with this.

Please give us some feedback later how the part with denying the mac adresses worked out.

-chrnxR

the dreams of yesterday are the hopes of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert H. Goddard
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by chrnxR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amer
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #38244 by Amer
the IP address of the router B970b is 192.168.1.1 and B683 is 192.168.1.2 i think they are in the same network....should i change the ip address of either one of them to 192.168.2.1..?

Basically the thing is i want to have access to internet and printers at the same time,as i have the B970b which has the access to internet and the printers are connected to B683 router through a LAN cable and if i have to give out a print while i am on the surfing internet i have to first migrate to another network and then give out the print which is not productive at all and i cant connect the printers directly to the B970b router as they are separated by a long distance as printers are in one cornor of the room and the B970b router is on the other net.

Hence i thought of bridging two wireless routers wirelessly after research i found that feature isnt compatable with the make and model of routers that i have.Hence i have switch the option of connecting both the routers throught a crossover cable.

But one question strikes me...lets say i have changed the ip address to 192.168.2.1 of either one of those two routers and have connected them through crossover cable shoudl i have to make the router with internet B970b as access point and the B683 as wirelelss bridge (or) both of them can independently function with their DHCP's still enables :huh: and i can still have the access to the printer when i am connected to B970b router....?

Just to let you know the two routers mentioned above i.e., Huawei B970b and huawei B683 are wireless gateways routers and I also do have a Linksys WAG200G ADSL router although its not used anywhere but please do suggest me a way around if it could be utilised can i connect two printers to this ADSL router and connect the huawei B970b through this very ADSL router coz the Huawei B683 wireless gateway was also serving the same purpose of providing printer access can it be replaced by the Linksys WAG200G ADSL router that i have..?

I know its a lot to ask....thank your for your time.

Regards,
Amer.

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Amer. Reason: slight modification
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #38245 by chrnxR
Sry was dumb.

wont work that way...

Another edit:

if you dont mind having all clients and printers in one network, you can use the Linksys in bridged mode. But then you have to turn off one DHCP and care about static IP adresses like both routers to not be given the same twice.

the dreams of yesterday are the hopes of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert H. Goddard
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by chrnxR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amer
More
11 years 1 month ago #38246 by Amer
thank you for your time and will surely wil provide you the feedback on it..

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds