Skip to main content

Installed 10/100 Switch and Network is Slow

More
20 years 11 months ago #382 by marani78
I have recently upgraded an existing network comprising of 15 computers. They are using WinNT4 (file server), workstation, 5pc with XP, 4 with Win2k and others with Win98. The cables are connected from the switch to the wall sockets and then wall socket to the computers. Prior to upgrade if a 250KB file was sent to the print server it took seconds but now it takes minutes. However, installing a Switch 10/100 should make the network super fast. Do I have to make changes to the cables too. When installed at first I found out that the cables from the wall socket to the NIC on the computer didn't follows the T568A or T568B config. so I changed all of them to T568B config. Do I also have to do that for Switch to Wall Socket. Please Help me Out....????
More
20 years 11 months ago #383 by manuel
Hi! Greetings from Dominican Republic.

I have the same problem that you have, so I join you for answers, so let's wait until someone with experience clear out our doubts.

In my particular case, I have a Novell 3.12 file server, and 6 Pc with Win98SE, I changed the Hub for a 10/100 Switch and it's slow, the cables aren't neither 568A nor 568B wired.

SOMEONE HELP US!!

There's no limit for a thinking mind
More
20 years 11 months ago #384 by Chris
Hi guys,

Wiring a network the proper way has always proven to be a bigger problem than what one might think, due the the different wiring schemes available and the fact that most people choose to ignore them - which in its turn causes network connectivity problems to occur.

Firstly you must choose which wiring method you will be using, 586A or 586B. Personally I try to stick to the 586B method since thats the most popular.

Secondly, when wiring the connections between your patch panel and rj45 wall sockets, make sure you use the 586 method you choose above. Keep in mind that the method you choose to wire your network must apply to all cables no matter what they are connecting e.g switch to wall socket, wall socket to patch panel, switch to pc. Again, this is a mesaure to ensure that everything is wired accorind to the standards.

By adopting these two 'rules' you will minimise, if not eliminate, the wiring problems and errors that can occur between network devices.

So if your trying to troubleshoot a problematic connection/network, I'd suggest you take a look at the wiring first, and then start looking elsewhere.

You should keep in mind that most 'straight thru' cables use the 586B method, so its something to consider when choosing your wiring method.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds