Skip to main content

Network printer sharing

More
12 years 2 months ago #37759 by sose
Network printer sharing was created by sose
I manage a network with two network printers. I simply want to know the difference between these two mode of installing these printers, and implications if any:

1. first i install the printer driver on all my systems. and then use the driver to connect with the printer IP address.

2. I installed the printer driver on only one system, the share it, I then use ADD printer icon on other systems to search and connect to the printer
More
12 years 2 months ago #37761 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Network printer sharing
NOW i UNDERSTAND THE GAME, IN THE SECOND CASE, WHEN YOU SHUTDOWN THAT SYSTEM WHIC HAS THE SHAREPRINTER, OTHERS CANT PRINT
More
12 years 2 months ago #37763 by sose
hey!! I cannot complete my network installation , surprisingly i can log into the printer through my browser.

it is giving me this error

YOUR DEVICE AND YOUR PRINTER ARE NOT CONNECTED
ALL THE SETTINGS YOU ENTERED ARE VALID.
FIREWALL IS NOT INTERFERING WITH YOUR INSTALLATION

I have check all these issue, any clue ?
More
12 years 1 week ago #37882 by sose
Now I understand the game, it was Kaspersky that was blocking the installation. when I disabled the kaspersky antivirus it worked.
More
12 years 1 week ago #37883 by TheBishop
When you use the second method Windows is supposed to copy the correct driver over when it adds the printer, but I have found this doesn't always work particularly when the versions of Windows are different. I tend to take your first approach and install the correct driver on every PC
More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #37886 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Network printer sharing
The second approach tends to be easier to install but the print server PC would be a single point of failure. The first approach is more robust whenever the availability of the print server can not be always ensured but also a bit harder to manage in terms of printer configuration.

Still we use the first method in our campus most the of the time.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by S0lo.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds