Skip to main content

Cisco Embedded Service Engine

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #37568 by TheBishop
Just had to translate the config or a router running a v12 IOS onto a brand new one running v15, and among other things I noticed the new router has an extra interface:
Code:
interface embedded-service-engine0/0
I've had a google for this but not much comes up. Does anybody know what this embedded service engine is for and what you can do with it?
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by TheBishop. Reason: Playing with new layout features
More
12 years 5 months ago #37571 by TheBishop
I managed to find some information in a Cisco document:

Embedded Service Engine Overview
Cisco Integrated Services Routers Generation 2 (Cisco ISRs G2) have dual core CPUs on the motherboard. The first core runs Cisco IOS software as Cisco Integrated Services Routers (ISRs) do; the second core, or the Embedded Service Engine, is capable of running Linux-based applications.

The following Cisco ISR G2 platforms support the Embedded Service Engine:

•Cisco 2911
•Cisco 2921
•Cisco 2951
•Cisco 3925
•Cisco 3945

When the Embedded Service Engine is configured on a Cisco ISR G2, the infrastructure required to run an application on the Embedded Service Engine is partitioned between Cisco IOS software and the Embedded Service Engine.
When embedded applications are enabled, the Embedded Service Engine requires a compact flash card in the second compact flash slot.
Note CIMC-E is the only application supported on the Embedded Service Engine in Cisco IOS Release 15.1(4)M.

Have a look at: www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modu...CIMCe.html#wp1104930
if you want more info
More
12 years 5 months ago #37573 by Chris
Thanks for sharing the information with us Alan! I'm sure someone will need to research the topic at some point.

I've personally worked with the Integrated Service Module (ISM-SRE-300-K9) which is a platform that supports a number of applications, including Unity Express (provides advanced autoattendant and voicemail support). Cisco has moved from having specific cards for these applications, to one platform upon which you can load a variety of applications, making them more flexible.

Of course, licensing is a topic you can't avoid with these new engines as they strictly follow Cisco's new licensing policy, so you must have the appropriate licenses purchased, otherwise they won't work!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #37581 by S0lo
Very interesting to know. Specially the fact that the second core is able to run Linux-based applications!! B). I wonder what Cisco is aiming at here for the long run.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by S0lo.
More
12 years 5 months ago #37582 by TheBishop
I think as Chris says they are angling to embed value-added things like VoIP and other lucrative applications onto the platform as well as just having it routing. Regrettably as Chris also says you'll have to have a license for the app as well so it won't be that easy I suspect to devise your own. Bit of a pity, but there you go
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds